No. of Recommendations: 0
ARe you over 59-1/2 so you are able to take distributions whenever you like? If not, you could need to invest differently for now.

See TMFPixy's retirement portfolios from the link below for TMF investment recommendations. Fools would suggest only enough fixed income investments to cover your short term needs (3 to 5 yrs expenses) with most in stocks to provide inflation protection.

Assuming your income tax rate will be lower later, you will be best off to have your growth investments in the tax deferred account. However, if you are under 62, your tax rate could go up when you begin collecting social security. Also, if you have other income that allows more options, investing after tax for growth gives the advantage of paying taxes at capital gains rates. And your heirs will get stepped up cost basis on your death. The tax deferred profits are eventually taxed at regular, not capital gains rates.

Just a few thoughts on the subject. The right answer depends on your exact circumstances.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.