No. of Recommendations: 4
Are you sure that you aren't just going to be jumping from the frying pan into the fire? Right now, your DH is apparently running himself ragged at work. Now his former boss, who presumably had something to do with him running himself ragged at work, wants to try to arrange for him to work with him in another location. What kind of guarantee do you have that your husband won't just continue to work himself to a frazzle in a new location if you move?

Now about the house: I'd make no hard decisions on that until you know for sure if your hasband is actually going to be offered a job with better pay and better hours.

Regarding your "debt-free" status. No, you aren't debt free, although your debt is minor. But according to your post, and perhaps I misread the post: You still owe $600 on the washer/dryer and another $900 on the grill. BTW: if you live in an area where you use the grill year-round, I can see spending that much on it. If you live in a part of the country that has "BBQ season" you way overspent for what you got.

So at this point, whether it's interest free or not, at a minimum you owe $1500. You paid the house off last year and since February you've incurred $1500 in debt. Before you make any life altering decisions, you need to get a handle on your spending. You seem to be confusing no house note with I can spend more than I make. Not a good way to do things.

If, after checking out all the options, you decide that the new job really is what your DH wants. Sell the house. If you don't sell it, not only will you be on the hook for all the repairs that inevitably happen the second people who don't own the home move in, but since you'll be living so far away, you'll probably need to have a property management company handle the details, and that costs money. If you can sell the house for the mid-150s, then you'd be looking at a little more than $75K which could be used as a partial downpayment on another house. However, I would suggest taking a large portion of the proceeds of the sale and put them into an emergency fund. And then use it for emergencies, not new appliances.

LWW
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.