Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Are your return assumptions for Berkshire (~8%-10%) and for Markel (~15%) nominal figures or are they real (inflation-adjusted) figures?

Nominal.

To be clear on Markel, I believe that 15% annualized is possible over the next five years based on my valuation model. I believe that book value could grow to around $750 and if P/B is at 1.5 at the end, we could have a stock price in the neighborhood of $1,100 - roughly a double from here.

I am not counting on Markel growing book or intrinsic value at 15% annualized over the next five years since I also assume some multiple expansion. Markel should have an easier time compounding BV/IV at 10-12% than Berkshire which is probably going to be in the 8-10% range. But there is a possibility that Markel could surprise on the upside significantly while I think this is less likely for Berkshire.

Berkshire is much more diversified, much safer, and much less likely to produce a poor result than Markel so in a sense investors will be getting paid for taking on a somewhat higher level of business risk if Markel works out as I expect it will.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.