No. of Recommendations: 0
Too crowded and touristy or worthwhile? If worthwhile, do you have recommendations for hotels and/or places to eat?
Print the post Back To Top
When we were in the Arenal/La Fortuna area back in March (the dry season!), it was cloudy all three days. We did not see or hear the volcano.

Stayed at Los Lagos - it was pretty nice and the restaurant there was decent. (Let's face it - one doesn't go to Costa Rica for the food.) I guess you could say that Tabacon Hot Springs was touristy, but even so, it wasn't too crowded. I highly recommend it!
No. of Recommendations: 3
Just went last month... see for yourself!

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=884929369103&page=1&sort_order=0

We stayed at Tabacon for one night and really enjoyed it. If you do, be sure to ask for a "volcano view" room.

http://www.tabacon.com

--AF
Nice pictures, AliFool. It looks like you had much better weather at the volcano than we did. I see that you went to the crocodile bridge - guess that's one tourist spot that's not in the travel books...
Rio Tarcoles bridge isn't in the guidebooks? Hmmm! I guess I just got lucky since my best friend is a Tica and she knew the cool places to go. It was on the way to Jaco/Manuel Antonio, so we had lunch at the restaurant right there. I thought I'd heard that Jeff Corwin did a special on Costa Rica that had some footage of the Rio Tarcoles crocs... will have to check it out.

Glad you enjoyed the pix. --AF
Thanks for the links! You took some great pictures. What sights did you like the most?
Manuel Antonio was not as impressive as we'd hoped, and we didn't see monkeys (we did hear them, though). Arenal was just stunning, especially at night (though we didn't get as close as I thought we might). La Paz waterfall (along our route to Arenal) was also amazing, as was the green sulphuric crater of Volcan Poas.

--AF
Alifool,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful responses. They are very helpful for our trip planning.
You are most welcome! I'm glad to help. : ) --AF