Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
At first glance, MELI seems like an excellent recommendation, and I am intrigued by it. I have a sort of “follow-up” question, prompted by our shared experiences with CRESY.

The newsletter write-up states, “At today’s prices, it would take . . . a crippling and concerted blow by the Latin American governments to cause us to sell this stock in the near term.”

This seems to say, at least implicitly, that MELI’s exposure to the Argentina government is a limited risk. Is this a correct reading of your view?

I see that the company locates its servers in the US to avoid possible confiscation by Argentina. (Which is both sensible and kind of shocking, in a way.)

What would happen if Argentina imposed a 70% or 90% tax on the worldwide income of MELI? (Impossible? Check out highest marginal US tax rates over the last 90 years.)

This is just an example – the larger question is what are your thoughts on the Argentina-specific government risk here?

I am not suggesting that kooky governments kill an investment thesis (although maybe Venezuela does); in fact, I recently picked up a little bit of CRESY as part of my John Templeton Basket. I just would like to understand your thinking on this point as I launch my own analysis of MELI.

Thanks!

Rich

BITB
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.