Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
You guys will totally get this...

I picked up several games with Epic's year end sale. The entire Tomb Raider collection was free. Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, and Control all at reduced prices, and a coupon. I paid $40 total for all of these. Note the trend? All ray tracing enabled.

I finally got an rtx3080 a couple of months ago, and it's been in my powerhouse PC that I built a little over a year ago. So I'm finally downloading these games this week to check it out and see if ray tracing and DLSS at 4k are as good as everyone says.

So I start playing Shadow of Tomb Raider - 4k, everything maxed out. DLSS on high quality. It's gorgeous... I had this on the Xbox a few years ago, but on the PC - WOW. I get through the first temple.

Then, at about the 2hr mark, the screen goes solid green and the PC has locked up. Reboot - nothing. EZ Bios LEDs on the mobo say it's a VGA problem. Won't boot. I pull the 3080 and boot on integrated graphics. Then I swapped a GTX 1650 super into the PCIe slot, and it boots too. I put the 3080 back in - nope, won't boot.

Looks like it's dead.

Just glad I waited to get it at retail, so I should be able to do a warranty claim...
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.