Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 11
I am a huge ARKK fan and have profited well from it. However, I have seen concerns expressed (and share them) that with ARKK's current $27 billion+ in assets under management (AUM), it may fall prey to its own success like Berkshire and Fidelity Magellan in the past.

I looked at some other ETF's based on a similar theme of innovation and disruption over "diversified" industries. Tickers for those were DTEC, LOUP, KOMP, XITK and MOON. All held AUM that were very small compared to ARKK. I looked at performance on a recent 1 month, 3 month and 12 month percentage. For ARKK it was 11, 58 and 168. LOUP was not bad with 16, 54 and 105 as was XITK with 15, 45 and 109. However, I was most impressed with the new ETF, MOON. It came in at 39% for the month and 96% for the recent quarter. Unfortunately it has not had time to produce a 12 month %.

My concern at this point was that if MOON held many of the same stocks as ARKK, then by proxy it would be subject to the same risk. I checked for overlaps and found only one stock that MOON and ARKK have in common. Admittedly MOON is still in its infancy but it will be an ETF for me to watch.

five
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
In addition to the 5 thematic Ark active ETF's, I am also in PTF and QCLN. Both of those are passive but do rather well. I just started a small position in MOON as well. Thanks for this.

I am very impressed with Cathy Wood and her team. I am also concerned with her fund sizes, though I still have 43% of my IRA in total in her funds.
No. of Recommendations: 1
There is very little overlap in holdings between MOON and any of the ARK ETFs. The largest overlap is with ARKQ, the funds share 5 holdings. Easy to check here.

https://www.etfrc.com/funds/overlap.

Bob
Recent performance of ARKK and other ETF's with similar themes. This is the first time I have tried to post a copy and paste from Excel. If this does not post well I can repost if someone knows of a better way. Five

TICKER NAME AUM ! MO % 3 MO % 6 MO %

ARKK ARK Inovation 27B -14 9 39

DTEC Alps Disruptive 96M -6.8 5 17.5

MOON Direx Moonshot 144M -4.1 42 61 since inception 11/2020

LOUP Loup Frontier 97M 0.7 21 70

KOMP Kensho&New Econ 2B -2.9 26 57

XT Exponent Tech 3.3B -2.7 6.1 19.5
Better, huh?!

TICKER AUM 1 MO % 3 MO % 6 MO %

ARKK 27B -14 9 39