Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Another one of HR's zombie retailer basket -- several already declared BK, but several have done quite well.

One can argue whether this concept should exist at all, esp. since its better competitors like AEO/ANF have struggled to find new identities. Losing gobs of money. negative SSS.

So what's to like? It is a story getting LESS worse, maybe even incrementally better. ARO got back its old CEO who had tremendous success during his tenure (or just luck), and the macro environment seems to have improved somewhat. Combined with a clean inventory (down 20%), ARO was able to pre-announce to the upside despite still -9% SSS, which itself is a sequential improvement. We have seen this play out over and over again. new CEO, cut inventory, better gross margin, and hopefully a few positive SSS against easy compares, and off we go.

valuation is admittedly tricky with no earnings. This is essentially a long-dated option. At after hour price, it trades around 0.15x EV/sales. I wouldn't be surprised to see anywhere from 0.1x to 0.5x over the next 12 months depending on SSS, so a really wide range, but upside is very interesting. The only thing I am sure of is that it will grind higher if it keeps the trajectory of improving SSS/margin. I think the company will be EBITDA positive in '15, and that should be good for 0.2-0.3x.

I think we see some fireworks tomorrow, and stock will grind to $4 into earnings and could hit $8 (0.4x EV/sales) if they ever hit a positive SSS in a quarter.

Short interest is 25%. For the life of me, I don't understand why anyone would short this thing at 0.1x EV/sales with no immediate liquidity risk. FLPSX owns 10% (not his finest hour. i think he rode it all the way up and then down). Sycamore owns another 8-9% through convert at much higher prices.

this is the ultimate hope/faith stock, but ironically my highest batting average (probably slugging % as well) type of stock. still don't have the guts for a small position.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.