Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
As a counter weight, quoting from the same article:
"Even as he won support in Chicago's Palestinian community, Obama tried to forge ties with advocates for Israel.

In 2000, he submitted a policy paper to CityPAC, a pro-Israel political action committee, that among other things supported a unified Jerusalem as Israel's capital, a position far out of step from that of his Palestinian friends. The PAC concluded that Obama's position paper "suggests he is strongly pro-Israel on all of the major issues."

In 2002, as a rash of suicide bombings struck Israel, Obama sought out a Jewish colleague in the state Senate and asked whether he could sign onto a measure calling on Palestinian leaders to denounce violence. "He came to me and said, 'I want to have my name next to yours,' " said his former state Senate colleague Ira Silverstein, an observant Jew."

If you read the whole article with an open mind I think it's impossible to come to a black-or-white conclusion. Unfortunately most people read stuff in the context of their preconceived notions, and selectively find support for those.

GWB has been the strongest supporter, and most one sided, in favor of Israel of perhaps any US president. I don't think this has been good for Israel. It has weakened Israel's international standing along with America's, as both have been perceievd more than ever is tied at the hip. It has encouraged Israeli policies that hurt the prospects for peace and put real efforts to solve the conflict on the back burner.

Elan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.