No. of Recommendations: 1
As a law and order type, I fully support some form if instant (or near instant) E-verify program PRIOR to beginning of employment. It should be part of every job application. If we had mandatory E-verify, we would SIGNIFICANTLY reduce our need to track illegal entry. We would save a ton of money too on border enforcement.

Yes.

As a freedom-loving libertarian at heart, I have to ask what business is it of the federal government who I employ? Where in the constitution does it state that I LACK the ability to enter into an employment contract with another person based on their status? This is especially true for 1099 employees where I am not required to collect SS and other taxes for them.

The database doesn't have to be set up that way - all you would need to do is query the database to see if somebody had a legit tax ID and/or social security number. That's it. An independent contractor would have their own tax records, btw.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.