Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
As AJ said, the original question about tax rates now vs. retirement still apply, despite the typo on your contribution rate. If you believe your tax rate in retirement will be less than it is now, then it makes sense to continue contributing to the Traditional 401k and defer your tax liability until then. If you think your tax rate could be lower now than in retirement, then it may make more sense to contribute to a Roth 401k now and pay your taxes this year, taking your retirement distributions tax free.

Note that even if you make Roth 401k contributions, your 6% company match will be to your Traditional 401k. One other consideration is that having a mix of both Roth 401k and Traditional 401k contributions and earnings could give you some tax flexibility when it comes to taking retirement distributions that only having Traditional 401k contributions and earnings.

I'm not sure that has any actual beneficial impact but my approach, when I've had access to a Roth 401k, has been to contribute to the Roth IRA for the simple reason that I'd like to deal with taxes while I have employment income and reduce the hassle of dealing with taxes when living off a fixed income.

The important thing is to take the next 15 years to continue contributing and investing your retirement savings, perhaps adding some less aggressive, more conservative investments to begin transitioning a portion of your savings from a growth focus to a capital appreciation focus. And about 5-8 years from retirement, start setting aside the cash you'll need while living in retirement so that you are not impacted by market drops like we are currently experiencing.

One other thing to consider, and this may or may not apply to you but may be of interest to others. The income phase-out range for a Roth IRA for a single filer is $120k-$130k in 2018 ($122k-$137k in 2019), and the phase-out range for a married, filing jointly household is $189k-$199k in 2018 ($193k-$203k in 2019). However, this only applies to a Roth IRA.

Even if you are contributing the max to your Roth or Traditional 401k, you can still contribute to your Traditional IRA. Assuming you are age 50 or older, that is $6500 in 2018 (and $7000 in 2019). That's $6000 in 2018 and $6500 in 2019 if you are under age 50. If you've got the cash and are not already doing so, this is a way you can give your savings plan a little boost.

Who notes that while you can start taking distributions from both a Traditional and Roth 401k or IRA starting at age 59 1/2, with a Traditional 401k or IRA, you will have to begin taking Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs) at age 70 1/2, so that could be another benefit to stashing a portion of your retirement savings in a Roth 401k and then rolling it over into a Roth IRA, which would not be subject to RMDs, prior to age 70 1/2...

Ticker Guide for The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME) and MongoDB (MDB)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (
Fool Code of Conduct:
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.