Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
As far as retirement, as someone else said, only you know if you can make it work.

Severance packages are usually lump sum, not "multiple year." They cut you loose with a flat fee and wash their hands of you - they don't want to keep paying you over time. That's mostly the point of a severance. They are also usually prorated based on one's seniority with company, and level of responsibility in the organization. A secretary with 5 years there would typically get a lot less than a VP with 10 years tenure for example. HR MUST set a consistent policy here or they open themselves to lawsuits. That said, it's somewhat negotiable for some of the small items like access to job placement services, etc. There's also usually a tight deadline for exercising any stock options ( a few months) so be sure you understand what that is.

As far as non-compete, I have never really seen that - or only at extremely high levels of an organization. There is of course a non-disclose policy.

Only you know what your company's package is and if it is a good offer. When I got laid off I ended up with nearly six months salary, plus my accrused vacation. I started consulting almost immediately, so it was a nice emergency cushion to allow me to start my own business. You could consider that route too - could you hang up your on shingle and continue to work in your industry?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.