Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
As for our estate - both kids are adults, 50's, both have great incomes and don't need any inheritance from us. We have tried many times to get them interested in the stock market, with no interest, so why would we leave our stock market gains to them. Interesting question, right?

We have wrestled with this question as well, though frankly I am hoping we live long and well enough to spend most of what we have. Our kids are still in their 20's, though Eldest is doing well both at work and in the market. We chose to front end the kids' inheritance by matching their earned income up through college in the form of a Roth IRA contribution, which has also helped with their understanding of saving for retirement, the stock market and the importance of saving/investing/compounding. We also paid for college at the undergraduate level. In part we did this because we retired early and our assets would make it difficult for them to get financial aid. They were told not to expect an inheritance.

But who else are we going to give it to? Not the gov't, thanks. We have done plenty of gov't funding already. It makes me happiest thinking it could make life easier for them, or they can decide to give it away should they chose to do so. If there is going to be much left it will be because DH and I were taken out together too early in retirement, such as when traveling together on the highway. If that happens, will we have been able to give them in full the financial education they need?

And they were part of the frugal lifestyle we chose to pursue, so that we could do things like retire early and pay for college, thus in some ways they helped us save the basis of the investments. Youngest in particular questioned why we didn't have fancy things like his friends, though in senior year of high school he told me he understood finally why we did this. So many of his friends were panicked about how to pay for college, and while he didn't get a car from us at 16, he didn't have the stress they were now facing. Maybe eventually we will have grandkids we can do that for too.

As all of us get older, and I see them more on track to financial success, (Youngest just graduated college,) we will likely direct a good portion of our estate elsewhere or put it away for grandchildren that may appear, but for now, it's going to the kids. And if Youngest decides to continue on his pursuit to save the environment in lieu of a fat paycheck, I am glad that we can subsidize that.

Those are some of our answers to that question.

FWIW,

IP
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.