Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
As for the 7.2% annual return in the next 30 years, I presume this is after inflation is backed out, right?

My bad for not elaborating, it's actually the smallest nominal rate of return for any time horizon > 30 years (happens at 45 years.) The worst worst case for any 30...87 year period. Assuming a 3% average inflation over any long period, that would be 4.2% real return.

OK, got it. I think one could rightfully be accused of excessive pessimism, to take the worst 30-year return as the expected return going forward. The average return seems a more fair expectation, unless you think (as I do) that today's values are unusually high. I suspect that average 30-yr return starting at a year with valuations as high as today's is probably much lower than the 9.6% nominal average.

I agree with the points you make. However... why do you think 40% is the "full" correction? Based on P/E, CAPE, profit margins (ROS), ... ?

Hussman thinks 50%, or a bit more, would be a 'full' correction, using a number of factors such as the ones you mention. I just picked 40% as a wild guess, to see how much such a correction would affect the 87-yr return. I actually expected it to be less of an impact, but it takes the 87-yr return from 9.6% to 9.0%, or just under 6% adjusted for inflation. And since that correction hasn't happened yet, it obviously would hurt forward 30-yr returns just as badly, bringing them down from 6% to about 4%.

The real, one-time adjustment from today's values should maybe be more or less than 40%, depending on how permanent you think companies' present high levels of profitability turn out to be. But an adjustment that big makes a fairly big difference, both because it influences the historical 87-yr average return, and because it even more heavily influences the forward 30-yr return.

Regards, DTB
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.