Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
As has been acknowledged there are three or more threads here.

1. Best way for the older couple to protect their estate as they get older. The ability to not have the state collect all their assets if they need care is one way to put it. (estate planning advice from a professional as the subject is more complex then it seems).

2. The actual happiness of a couple moving to a new location to be closer to their daughter while being remote from their present friends and environment. (rent for 6 months to see if people like the new arrangement).

3. The rules concerning rental property and what happens if you rent to a family member (market rent levels or the IRS will not consider it a rental).

I think it would be best to take it slow and to get help from advisors outside the family. It gives people some time to get used to the changes and the advice is not seen as coming from a family member with history.

The rental property issues are the easiest to deal with and are very clearly set out in the IRS rules. The estate planning issues are also pretty reasonable if the individuals involved can make decisions they are happy with. The 'where will I be happy' is the most complex and might even change as time moves forward.

I have seen very good results from professional advice on living trusts and tax planning. Greatly reduced arguments and questions of 'what did Mom, etc really want to have happen?'.

Good luck!

John

PS. I have been through this multiple times now and each time it was different as the chemistry of the individuals really does add complexity to the mix. I am expecting another couple of passes at it (remarried and new in-laws who are dealing with their parents on both sides including one in a foreign country).
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.