Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
As has been suggested, doing a new will that reflects the changes he wants done and having it properly notarized is the best way to go.

As was discussed on another thread recently about gifting a house, there are a lot of other issues to be concerned about. Who will he gift the house to? Does he plan to still live in it? If he does, what will he do if the new owner needs to sell the house, can't pay the mortgage and has a foreclosure, hits a school bus and gets sued so that the house is lost to that, or a host of other things that can go wrong?

The cost of doing it correctly should be pretty small.

I am not a fan of DIY estate planning.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.