Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
As I get older, I am increasingly certain that I don't understand almost anything about how businesses function, technology, and how everything works. Seeing how healthcare.gov was such a spectacular failure actually made me momentarily feel better, as I could think to myself, "nobody understands this crap....it's all too complicated."
..but reading these posts about the cloud by people who clearly have expert knowledge and opinions about the future of IT in business, makes me want to give up trying to understand anything new.

I just want to watch TV, take an occasional walk around the neighborhood, then take a nap.

I think it's time to get a money manager. I can't do it anymore.

Well, not that I don't feel the same way you do, but this cloud hype has more to do with "whippersnappers" getting in your face and making you think it is some cutting edge technology, which in reality is really using old technology....main frames. They are just trying to make you think you can do away with your own IT personnel.

Commentary to this artile pretty much sums it up.

Yet another “Mainframe is dead” article based on the “cloud”.

The Mainframe has “died” at least 50 times in the last 50 years, yet there are more of them than ever right now. What will these “Cloud” systems run on? It will take more processing power than my little obsolete Android phone. Oh, that’s right, it will be on someone elses mainframe.

Get real, the “Cloud” is just a network connection to another computer on the network. There will still be a powerful computer on the other end, whether in the next room, or the next continent. True, the power of the mainframes of 50 years ago now resides in my shirt pocket, but, the amount of power I want has increased vastly too. No, mainframes aren’t going away. They are just changing forms, and getting easier to connect to.

Still, it remains true that if you want the data that defines and continues your business, you will want to have physical control over the storage and distribution of it, and that means physical control over the machine that runs the processes. In short, a Mainframe.

Less sensitive information may be more cheaply run on someone elses machine, but those who believe that this can run ALL their business will have an expensive lesson to learn.

The old adage is still true. Good, Cheap, Fast, pick any two.

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/814

When one enters "a cloud" it really will be no different than in the "old days" when there were no PCs at your desk. You just had a monitor that was hooked up to a big computer.

I think we need a fly swatter more than a money manager.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.