Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 11
As I looked closer at the documents/1099 from my E*trade taxable account (my only taxable brokerage account), I see there are dividend & distribution totals of about $6-7 a year (in each of the above mentioned years)...when I then open my saved efile pdfs, I see that I did not report them on my returns.. ie- did not report $6-7/year dividends in the years 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.

So, at this point...... do I need to

Tax law answer. Amend the returns, state and Federal. Mail each in a separate envelope with a check for any additional tax due. They'll bill for interest if they want it. Your deadline for mailing the 2009 amendment is 4/15/2013.

Taxpayer answer. Chalk it up to experience, but do not file amended returns, which will cost more to process than any additional tax due. If those dividends were reinvested don't include them when calculating basis for your shares. If your conscience needs salving, send a check to reduce the national debt. The address is in the 1040 instructions.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.