Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

As I read the question, the contract is with and the rents are paid to the landlord by the Sister. I am unable to find in the 1099 instructions where it says that an individual tenant must issue a 1099 for rents paid.
If the Motherhouse is paying the Sister a housing stipend, I could see where the Motherhouse might want to issue a 1099 to the Sister.

There's enough ambiguity in the OP to drive a truck through. You are correct that an individual tenant does not issue a 1099 (unless the rent is paid in connection with a business, but that's not the case here). I'm not conversant in the financial operations of all religious entities, but if the rent is paid out of a communal clergy fund, then the 1099 might be appropriate.

As to your final statement, if the Motherhouse is paying the Sister a housing stipend, that would be reported on a W-2 as a parsonage allowance (box 14).

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.