Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
As I recall, QQQ is the NASD 100. The 100 largest cap stocks listed on the NASD. It is not a technology ETF per se, but is heavy in tech stocks.

For a 50 year old, I think your stock holdings are too aggressive. I would encourage you to put half of your 401k funds in an S&P 500 index fund or a total market fund. That is a reasonable way to diversify.

Tech stocks are an attractive growth segment, but volatility tends to be on the high side (as we are recently reminded). Holding a few blue chips is not a bad idea. Personally I would not go so far as to buy bonds or fixed incomes just now, but blue chips like Caterpillar or Boeing are industry leaders likely to do well over time. Not as well as tech stocks, but still a reasonable place to put your funds.

These days tech stocks are everywhere. Even the DJIA 30 includes 6 tech stocks: Apple, Cisco, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, and Verizon.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.