Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
As I understand it though, I only need to file if I have earned money, and if there is no record that I have, the burden of proof is on the IRS.

True. It's called an audit. Happens to expats all the time, where they live. My boss here in Hong Kong got audited last year, had to pay a small bundle. Some US laws apply to US citizens even overseas.

You CAN, of course, relinquish your citizenship if paying US taxes is morally or otherwise repugnant to you. But you cannot relinquish citizenship to evade taxes--the State Department won't go for it. IF you haven't filed in 10 years, you'll be hardpressed to prove that tax evasion isn't your basis.

Like I said, it makes no sense to get oneself into this sort of situation when it's so easy to go tax-free legitimately. Even if you made much more than the foreign income exclusion, the foreign tax credit for any taxes you pay in your resident country would probably offset any US tax due.

The prior poster gave you some good advice.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.