Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
As Ira explained, your Mom can't give you her losses, but there may be another way to get some benefit to the family. You and/or your sister could give her stock with capital gains equal to her capital loss, and she could sell both the same year, avoiding the tax on the gains. Obviously, this depends on you having an appropriate stock, and you must still consider the gift taxes.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.