No. of Recommendations: 0
As it happens I have used speedtest for some years to test my internet speed. First thing is that the site recommended is the beta sight for a new version of speedtest. So I tried the the beta version and compared it with the current version I have been using. First the beta version chose a different entry point to the internet than the current version. My service comes from Comcast. The current version chose a Comcast server in Richmond, VA. The beta version chose a server from Lumos Networks (?) in Waynesboro, VA.

The current version showed a download speed of about 30 mbps over about 6 tests,
which is consistent with the how I download videos, etc. The beta version showed a download speed of from less than 1 mbps to 8 mbps. So I would be wary of basing any conclusion on speed from the beta version. The current version address is

http://www.speedtest.net/?a=1

Note that if you are using a fiber connection, you may not see a difference. You probably only connect directly to a single server.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.