Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
As of this post Via and Echostar have settled all of it...court cases and contract....Via won and Dish is now carrying Nicktoons.....something they did not want.

As usual, we disagree. Nicktoons is a viable channel; DirecTV added it over a year ago. The Cartoon Channel often places at the top of the ratings and has one of the highest customer satisfaction levels of any channel out there. Adding Nicktoons was not a big deal. (I note that Dish added it only to the "Top 180" package, the highest tier, and one for which people are already paying extra. Viacom will get not a penny from people who buy the lowest and middle tiers, which is the vast majority of their subs.

The channel that Viacom was demanding be added was Nickelodeon GAS, and I have seen no reports saying that they got the carriage they were seeking.

At the end of the day, I would say both sides lost at least a little. It brought into sharp focus the "media consolidation" issue, which I personally think is about time. There have been similar disputes before, but never in the climate where the issue has been on the front burner at the same time.

It also shines the light on the animus between distributors and creators, particularly between the networks, who have always thought they should be paid for carriage of their network product - and the cable companies (and later, satellite companies) who have steadfastly refused to pay for such use, offering other things instead (such as carriage of newly created channels.) Now it appears that that string has played out, and that the "carry this new ho-hum channel and pay us for it) may have reached the end of the road.

It'll be interesting to see where it goes next. All of that said, I dispute your characterization that "Viacom won." I think they both lost.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.