Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
As of writing on Feb. 3, she has not received a W-2, but has received a 1098-T. As best as we can tell, the Box 5 line, Scholarships and Grants, does include the work study portion. Is it even possible to declare that as earned income insofar as EIC and Pay to work credit too.

Check out IRS Publication 970 for the treatment of grants, etc. All of the tax credits and other benefits are discussed in that publication also.

As for the EITC unless she's over 25 or has a child living with her, she's not eligible.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.