No. of Recommendations: 0
As PeppermintPatty said, you can't move that money to an IRA until you leave the
job that makes you eligible for the 403b plan. At that time, you may only transfer
the money to a traditional IRA. A Roth IRA cannot accept a rollover from anything
else except another Roth IRA or a traditional IRA. Once the money is in the
traditional IRA, though, you may then transfer it immediately to a Roth IRA. When
you do, the amount transferred will be taxable as income, and ordinary income
taxes on that sum must be paid

Thanks for the help! Now more basic questions. I currently have a Roth IRA. I can also have a "regular"IRA? I understand that there is a limit of $2000 per year individual contribution to an IRA. Does the government care if I have both a Roth and "regular IRA? I can set up a "regular IRA" in order to roll over my TSA money and the amount that I have accumulated in my TSA ($10,000) will not count toward the $2000 per year limit?

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.