Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
As someone who moved around a bit the past few years and on the brink of moving again I can tell you that no electronic gadget lasts ten years.

Having just moved in the past year and a half, I can also say that the flip side is that shelves full of hardcover books are a real pain in the butt to pack, move, unpack, and sort. I, too, found old electronics that no longer work or even turn on, and frankly, I don't miss them. But at the same time, I have tons of hardcovers and paperbacks that I haven't cracked open in years, and I probably wouldn't miss them if they got lost, too.

I'm also going to be moving at work in the next month or so, from one building to a new building. Moving my lab materials is going to be hard enough. I really don't want to be bothered with moving file cabinets full of files, memos, papers, etc. I've begun scanning a bunch of old (>10 years) memos to pdf files and discarding the hardcopies. Our photocopier will scan about a half inch thick stack of memos and e-mail the resulting pdfs to me. It takes about half an hour for me to scan a binder full of memos and e-mail them to myself. It's hard to find time to do the scans, and when the time comes to move, I'll likely just end up boxing whatever is left and moving them physically. I scoffed at the notion of the paperless office a decade or so ago, but now, I wish I had tried to go paperless long ago. (I have colleagues who are much, much, much worse than I am.)

-awlabrador, the pack rat
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.