Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
As the number of listed public companies continues to shrink, how do very large funds and investors manage their exposure to the American economy? Not a problem for a tiny fellow but consider the issue for a fund with 5 or 10 or many more billion

To clarify, I was referring to pension funds and SWFs and the like. Their decision-making is quite different than a Buffett or a Tepper.

And none of them own BX, APO or CG -- though some do their own PE I realize.

True. But I couldn't care less if they own it or not. What Buffett can do will his billions is different than you or me and he owned IBM which I didn't and I owned MA before Berkshire did. Buffett can buy whole railroads and I cannot. Different sandbox.

Tiger Global bought APO hand over fist. Maybe that makes people feel better because they're successful and smart. Again, I couldn't care less.

What it comes down to whether or not critics want to admit it is that some people don't like PE. They don't like the fees. They don't like the approach which they usually mischaracterize as simply applying leverage, a characterization which if accurate applied to an earlier era of LBOs.

Perhaps they think that investors in alternative managers are going to wake up tomorrow morning and reject PE and alts.

Yeah, right.

ET
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.