No. of Recommendations: 2
As the previous posters have shown (I think), there is a vast variety of cruises available from barefoot windjammer sails where you mix with the crew and even help on the ship, to huge, small-city-sized new cruise ships where the dining rooms are more like restaurants. And then the cruise experience is what you make it.

I've been cruising for 30+ years on many different kinds of ships and with different companions and each one has been a delight for different reasons.

There was the Christmas after my parents split and my Mom just didn't know what to do for the holidays that year, so we took a cruise and sat at a table for 8. They turned out to be totally amazing--fun and funny and one of them remains a family friend, 30 years later. It was the perfect solution.

My husband and I like to go on largish ships, eat at tables for 2 when possible and lose ourselves in the crowd, so to speak. We enjoy not having to worry about where to eat or what to cook, etc. We bring lots of books, just relax together and find it very peaceful... wind, rocking of the ship, waves, air, etc.

We do this as a substitute for a resort, or just to get an overview of a region, not to visit the place the ship is going to. If we want to visit a specific place, we do just that, so we can take our time there. Cruising is not about touring or a substitute for a stay in a place--it's travelling in a bubble!

I do recommend it, but with careful research and preparation, so as to make it work for you, and for you not to be disappointed.

Best,
AB
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.