Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

As time goes on this random, meaningless population of letters will be transformed into a list of meaningful words. This would seem to be an increase in information.

Now suppose the words are randomly arranged into groups and each time a meaningful sentence is created, it is put aside and maintained. Now we have even more organization and information.

Seems to me almost inevitable that new information will arise if there exists a process that creates even random variation (e.g., mutation) combined with another process that selects for some higher level of organization, such as functionality (e.g., natural selection).

i think that's an excellent analogy
( since i've never heard it before, i'll be interested in other opinions )

not being at all familiar with Information Theory.... is it a real increase in information, or just seems to be? (but then, does a Bird ,say, really have more information than a Cricket?)

-j
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.