Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 43
As we were leaving they were finally setting up the candy and water table and Ellie wanted some candy and I told her, right in front of the librarian, "No, this school does not get any more of my support or money until we get the apology you have coming. No more of my time, no more of my money, no more of my support. I will support my children in their activities and that's it."

It seems to me through reading your posts over many years that there is a pattern of you parting badly with organizations, whether schools, entrepreneur groups, whatever.

It's inevitable in any such relationship that there will be conflict and the person who 'wins' the conflict may really end up the loser.

If you 'win' by extracting an apology, you may really 'lose' by making a lifelong enemy in your community.

If you 'win' by leaving an organization in a huff, you 'lose' because you no longer have access to the resources provided by that organization.

If you 'win' by making waves and calling in authority figures, you may 'lose' because you have earned a reputation as a trouble-maker.

The only way to really win is to get along.

Generally people are stupid heads so I'm sure that you were justifiably angry/provoked/whatever in these interactions. Nonetheless it might be helpful for you to examine what 'went wrong' with these relationships so you can navigate such interactions better in the future. I once heard someone say 'the only common denominator in your failed relationships is you'.

You cannot prevent other people from doing stupid, rude things. You can only control your reaction to their actions so that their stupidity or rudeness causes you the least emotional or financial damage.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.