Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
As you approach retirement, your risk tolerance decreases.
There are many factors to consider, but having a diversified portfolio certainly provides more stability.

Factors to think about. Are you planing to retire at 55, 65, 75 ?
early retirees have to think more growth oriented, as they have to provide longer income.

Will you be interested, and is it an option in working part time after you "retire"

To answer your question though, I don't think having one holding of 15% is on it's own a bad thing,
in certain circumstances, though having at least 20 stocks, if you don't hold any broad based index funds, etc for additional diversification, would be my minimum number of individual stock positions. From the way you posed the question, I think you do feel it's become to big a portion of your portfolio, but are looking
back at lost gains. Well hopefully you still have made some money. I suggest you evaluate the holding
on a forward looking basis. Do you agree with my wife's thesis that millennial buyers will want to have the convenience of what amazon provides as far as shopping, and that will continue going forward?
Why did you buy amazon, and do those reasons still hold? Having a plan is half the battle.
If you have enough AMZN, then consider other options if you want to hold it. Like purchasing puts, as insurance to allow yourself to keep more upside potential but limit losses to a reasonable (whatever that means to your situation) level.

Check out some of the retirement oriented boards for other ideas!

0xF00L
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.