No. of Recommendations: 0
hi
I just made an offer on an ok 1972 ranch home in a spectacular location for $225 which is underpriced for the area. The inspection is taking place on Saturday. The house has radiant heat built into the ceiling, individual thermostats in each room. Ceiling is heavy popcorn and probably insulated with asbestos. It also seems quite low to me. I did some research and found out these ceilings are considered "safe" unless they are crumbling or not sealed properly. However, one site said they tend to wear out after 30 something years.
This form of heating obviously is not optimal for air circulation as well, although it is quiet compared to forced air. Other cons are that is has cold spots and is not really efficient.
I can't imagine what it would take to environmentally remove the ceilings, replace the heating system with forced air, and finally, replace the ceilings. Cheap way to go could be to ignore the whole thing and have base board heat installed. (more expensive in long run).
Any thoughts? I would not be doing any of the work myself. Would it be worth even buying a house that has these problems? Even though I love the location (it feels like its in a park and has a lot of land, very private).
thanks
marlaf
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.