Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Ashes Fell Like Snow

The Sonoma County Firestorm was well documented by Roman Cho..

(The backstory https://petapixel.com/2018/05/17/shooting-portraits-of-sonom... )

https://www.ashesfelllikesnow.com

About the Author/Photographer: Roman Cho is a photographer living in Los Angeles. The opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the author. His photos have appeared in publications such as Time Magazine, Rolling Stone, GQ, Food & Wine and Acoustic Guitar. When not photographing, you can find Roman cycling, rock climbing, or thinking about the next noodle dish. He does not have any dogs, cats or plants. If you listen to his mother, it’s a miracle he’s kept himself alive after all these years. You can find more of his work on his website.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
All the photos look like paintings. Too much HDR or other processing.
No. of Recommendations: 0
The Photog Roman Cho, from Southern Calif, made his choices, but what surprised me was the people, willing to take a moment, tell their stories.

I took a lot of photos of my BIL's place, only simple cropping, culling.. But I wasn't going to publish.. Nor spend the effort Roman did interviewing others.. Just driving into the area once they allowed us close relatives in, was enough to sicken anyone..

I couldn't read 'em all, too soon, too devastating... Friends, relatives, even my cardiologist lost their homes... Many won't rebuild, like my BIL, at 70, it will be a decade or more before anything approaching normal returns to the area, so they moved on, bought a home, in another town, away from the scene. Eventually, they'll sell they lot, let someone else deal with the bureaucracy...
The Photog Roman Cho, from Southern Calif, made his choices, but what surprised me was the people, willing to take a moment, tell their stories.

Agreed, I was keeping to the photography part though.
I suspect he was attempting to keep the focus on the people, not the ruins all about them.
"I suspect he was attempting to keep the focus on the people, not the ruins all about them"

Then he should've just written a book and forget about the doctored up photos.

Norm
All the photos look like paintings. Too much HDR or other processing.

While I agree I do happen to know a guy who does that deliberately. He wants his photos to look like paintings. Personal preference. I much prefer a very light touch with Photoshop, trying my best to capture the image as I want it in-camera. But that's just me.