No. of Recommendations: 2
Asparagus could be a powerful new culinary weapon in the fight against diabetes.

Scientists have found regular intake of the increasingly popular vegetable keeps blood sugar levels under control and boosts the body’s production of insulin, the hormone that helps it to absorb glucose.

UK consumption of asparagus has soared in recent years to record levels of around 8,000 tonnes a year.

As well as its delicate flavour, it now appears it could have a vital role to play in combating Britain’s looming diabetes crisis.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2236322/Asparagus-...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

----

If some smart drug folks are out there, they'll find out what the chemical compound in asparagus is, develop a new medicine, and sell it for $10/pill - paid for by Medicare, Medicaid and ObamaKare.

I really don't like asparagus.....or many cooked veggies. Raw carrots are fine. Green beans are fine...... I"ll have my spinach as spinach leaves in my salad....

t.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
"I really don't like asparagus.....or many cooked veggies. Raw carrots are fine. Green beans are fine...... I"ll have my spinach as spinach leaves in my salad." - tele

I love asparagus. And I eat pretty much any kind of veggies, cooked or raw. Not real fond of lima beans or sweet potatoes but I'll eat them if that's all there is.

When I eat most cooked beans, like pintos, black beans, etc. I douse them with Hot Sauce. Anything is delicious with Louisiana Hot Sauce on it.

Art
No. of Recommendations: 1
Asparagus has this unique ability to make your pee smell funny. How does it do that?
I really don't like asparagus

Had it two nights ago, oven-baked, drizzled with olive oil and festooned with sun-dried tomatoes. Under those circumstances, there are few better vegetables.

I was watching a cooking show on Univision the other day and happened to catch a new recipe: You pull the leaves off Brussel sprouts (colitas de Bruselas) and cook them in a fry pan with oil and cashew pieces. Very simple and I can't wait to try it. We've oven roasted Brussel sprouts before (cut them in half first) and they are fabulous that way.

Last night DW made cod. True cod, not ding-a-ling cod. It was so good. Just dipped in garbanzo flour and pan fried. When cooked well like that it's my favorite fish.

--fleg
"Asparagus has this unique ability to make your pee smell funny. How does it do that?" - aolf

Volatile sulfur bearing amino acids break down during digestion and end up in the urine.

Art
From the article.

Lo and behold, the problem proved to be one not of producing the stinky pee but of being able to sniff it out.

I like to grill asparagus on the BBQ along with whatever we're cooking. Little olive oil, pepper, and salt, good to go.

JLC
Asparagus has this unique ability to make your pee smell funny. How does it do that?

All the times I've eaten asparagus I could count on the fingers of one hand, so I don't know about that. But I have noticed that when I eat buttered popcorn, afterward my pee appears to pick up the aroma. How does it do that?
All the times I've eaten asparagus I could count on the fingers of one hand, so I don't know about that. But I have noticed that when I eat buttered popcorn, afterward my pee appears to pick up the aroma. How does it do that?
------

Yeah. I notice that with cereal. Smells like Cheerios. A lot of bread and/or pop corn stuff smells like Cheerios. I don't get it.

arrete
"All the times I've eaten asparagus I could count on the fingers of one hand, so I don't know about that. But I have noticed that when I eat buttered popcorn, afterward my pee appears to pick up the aroma. How does it do that?" - andrew

Butyric acid? Maybe it's volatile and easily passed in the urine? Butyric acid is one of the components of butter.

Art