Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
My father recently died and I am now in charge of investing for my mother. She 72 years old and is now living with my sister. Between the life insurance, a 401k and sale of their house she has a fairly sizable amount of money -- about 700k. (My father was very conservative and had most of his money in treasuries)I am new to investing and will be consulting a CFA for help. But am interested in how others who are retired have broken up their portfolios - % between stocks and bonds and what stocks would be recommended as core holdings. I realize that you can't time the market but with the DOW/ S&P coming down so quickly at the moment I thought I would go slowly.
Print the post Back To Top
regal12,

I'm split about 50/50 between a 10 stock portfolio and indexed mutual funds. Zero in bonds except for < $1000 in US Savings Bonds. I use E*Trade as my online broker and one fund account. I also own some E*Trade stock.
Hope this helps,

Ron W.
Use MM or Treasuries till you have time to do your stock researh etc. At her age I will be 75% fixed income 25% stocks. REITs, preferred stock, bonds, Treasuries for the income side.
My father recently died and I am now in charge of investing for my mother. She 72 years old and is now living with my
sister. Between the life insurance, a 401k and sale of their house she has a fairly sizable amount of money -- about 700k.
(My father was very conservative and had most of his money in treasuries)I am new to investing and will be consulting a
CFA for help. But am interested in how others who are retired have broken up their portfolios - % between stocks and
bonds and what stocks would be recommended as core holdings. I realize that you can't time the market but with the
DOW/ S&P coming down so quickly at the moment I thought I would go slowly.

You do not say how much money she will need nor do you say what her current income is. Since she is staying with your sister I assume her needs maybe small. That would lead me to invest say 75% plus in stock. My think is that most of the money will go to her heirs. Also look at federal estate taxes and maybe a small gifting program.

Make sure your planner is a fee only planner. Also find an estate planning attorney.

<<<Make sure your planner is a fee only planner. Also find an estate planning attorney.>>>

Fully agree here.

For starters, figure out what your mother needs to live off of per month. That'll help anwer alot of questions. Second, what's your family history on longevity. It's possible for her to live another 20 years so you need to outpace inflation a good bit, i.e., significant portion in stock. 72 is not nearly as old as it used to be, just ask my 92 year old Granny who is looking forward to the Braves home opener.

JLC