No. of Recommendations: 0
Fellow Fools,

I am seeking some input and advice on the nature of a couple metrics that pertain to my TMF portfolio. I am 56 yrs old and hold approximately 100 companies from various TMF services; believe strongly in TMF philosophy and have a high tolerance for risk. I understand that my GKC score (1.8) is a bit out of whack, but I believe I have been working to structure a portfolio whereby I purchase a number of companies, feed winners, starve losers and allow the portfolio to seek an organic allocation. This process has been in play for about 2 years.

However, presented below are a few metrics that seem somewhat out of whack when scrubbing the performance of my TMF portfolio:

Top 10 Performing Companies (Total % Gain) Account for 25.57% of portfolio and 55.37% of Total $ Gain.
Top 20 Performing Companies (Total % Gain) Account for 39.55% of portfolio and 72.18% of Total $ Gain.
Top 30 Performing Companies (Total % Gain) Account for 50.74% of portfolio and 83.30% of Total $ Gain.
Top 40 Performing Companies (Total % Gain) Account for 60.11% of portfolio and 90.49% of Total $ Gain.
Top 50 Performing Companies (Total % Gain) Account for 66.92% of portfolio and 95.03% of Total $ Gain.

Based on these statements, it seems to me to be an inefficient use of capital to have the bottom 33% of my portfolio assets generating only 5% of the $ Gain.

Am I being too elementary in my analysis? Is there something I am missing here to be able to make necessary decisions about asset allocation?

As it stands, it would seem practical to me on some level to sell off the bottom performing 50 Stocks that represent 33.08% of the portfolio but are only generating 4.97% of the $ Gain and roll those funds into the upper half of the portfolio.

However, is that foolish or Foolish? I signed up to TMF services with the idea of investing for 3, 5 possibly 10 years without selling much; but I am not sure if that is the most efficient way to allocate this portfolio.

Any input would be greatly appreciated,

Harley
(Rising Stars, Partnership Portfolio, Global Partners, Crypto Society, etc.)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.