Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Assuming I'm going to try the just described process (I know, I know, I'm a "fool"), can anyone provide some "do-s"
and "don't-s" or recommend a primer source of information? I obviously don't want to run afoul the IRS, at any point.
All I hope to achieve is do trades within the sheltered accounts then withdraw the hoped - for profits as income. Doing
that, do I become some kind of an "independent investor" or "self - employed" type, subject to as yet unknown taxes,
regulations, paperwork, etc., or will I simply be an individual who generates income (I hope!) on which short - term tax
treatment applies?

You can continue to treat the trades as you did in the past. Just fill out the 1040. You will not have to be called a trader or self employed.

Remember you do not benefit from capital gains or losses on the sale of securities in a deferred account. Therefroe consider stock outside of the deferred accounts and income investments inside the deferred account.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.