Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
...Assuming you mean only from a tax perspective, yes, because a Spouse can roll IRAs inhereited from his/her spouse into the first sposue's own IRA; no other beneficiary can do that...

This is my understanding; please correct me if I'm wrong:

Regarding income tax on an inherited traditional IRA:
- If the spouse inherits, s/he can roll it into his/her own IRA, and have no tax due at the time of rollover, but will still have to pay income tax on distributions later on, when the money is withdrawn.
- If the children inherit, they have to pay income tax when they inherit.

So this looks to me like a pay now vs. pay later scenario, as opposed to pay more vs. pay less. And for an inherited Roth IRA, it shouldn't make any difference, since no income tax would be due regardless of who inherits or whether it stays in an IRA.

Estate tax is a different animal (from income tax), and although estate-planning attorneys can set up trusts for married couples so that the 2nd-to-die's exemption isn't lost, this maneuver is done with house, savings accounts, and other non-IRA assets. An IRA can't be put into a trust anyway, and given the spousal rollover option, the recommendation is to name the spouse as primary beneficiary and the trust as contingent.

With a nod to Ira's comment of considering objectives other than tax minimization, I am primary beneficiary of my husband's IRA's, but the children are primary beneficiaries of mine. Because (1) he has a pension with a survivor's benefit that's less than 100%, so he won't need my IRA as much as I'd need his, and (2) if everything goes to him, and he remarries and has more children, it's possible my children would get nothing. Very highly unlikely, but just in case, I feel better knowing they'll just get something right away.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.