Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Astounding how many "conservatives" support Putin.

May 20, 2022: "Russian troops rape baby, 1, to death in evil spate of child sex attacks, Ukraine claims

WARNING DISTRESSING CONTENT: A baby boy aged just one-year-old has died after being raped by Russian soldiers, Ukraine's Ministry of Defence claims following an hour of 10 horrendous civilian reports."

May 20: Republicans vote against bill to address dire shortage of baby formula in US.
Print the post Back To Top
Slap him into his battle diapers and drop him over the front lines.
Why? It's not him wanting to mess around over there.

Send Chickenhawk 401K'ers.

And tithe the portfolios.

Sorry- Biden, Pelosi, Harris, Schumer, - they are in charge.

Good job.
No. of Recommendations: 5
Breaking my self-imposed exile on this trash heap.

Congrats, libs.

You claimed that Trump was a RUSSIANPUPPET but the real puppet(s) live in your house, don't they?

If you hadn't lied and ginned up lame impeachment(s), several thousand Ukrainians wouldn't be under mortal threat right now.

This is what your weakness and rank stupidity have gifted the world. Congrats.
No. of Recommendations: 1
If Pinocchio were in office, Putin would already be clearing land for a new Trump development scam.
No. of Recommendations: 2
If Pinocchio were in office, Putin would already be clearing land for a new Trump development scam.</iL

And yet, that would be a much better outcome than what Brandon has delivered.

The final failure of liberalism. Taste it.
No. of Recommendations: 27
You claimed that Trump was a RUSSIANPUPPET

He is. He was out praising Putin's "genius move" just this week. Thinks it's great that Russia is invading Ukraine.

If you hadn't lied and ginned up lame impeachment(s), several thousand Ukrainians wouldn't be under mortal threat right now.

Holy non sequitur Dopeman?

Putin didn't need to invade when Trump was in office because Trump was weakening NATO from within. Trump had told people that pulling out of NATO was one of his goals for his second term. And if Trump, horrifically, gets elected again in 2024, he probably will pull out of NATO, claiming, "why should we go to war for Estonia?"

So, as you said, Trump is a Russian Puppet.
Praising!

Praising Putin!!!!

Oh no! Talking nicely to the worlds #2 nuke leader! We can't have that let's call him names.

Could it be that the Ruling Class wants a profitable war?

Trump is over. he's gone.

Obama was the Crimea Party.

Biden Pelosi Schumer Harris - is presiding over the festivities in Ukraine.

Let me know when you people want to say "it's not Trump's fault. It's not Biden's fault. WTH is any President supposed to do, nuke Moscow? this is PUTINs fault - he did it he alone. It's NO Presidents fault".

But until that day comes - it's a shame Obama - Putin's Puppet gave hum Crimea, and now Biden is watching Ukrainians die - and all you people can do is shout "Trump!" "S AND P FUTURES!"

If we're gonna blame our own Presidents for Putin - fine, I can play.

If not, step up you people, get beyond it.

Or don't - I prefer you divided on foreign affairs.
DOPE 1!!!! Nice to see you!!!!!

I may focus for a bit in case their little stupid S&P crashes. But I'm thinking I need to invite a a few more diverse voices to this board and website. Not sure if I want to start recruiting at diverse sites where discussions about Islam take place, OR from some rather partisan MAGA forums.

But I am glad to see you. Some diversity is good.
No. of Recommendations: 30
TheDope1: You claimed that Trump was a RUSSIANPUPPET but the real puppet(s) live in your house, don't they?

Um. No.

Trump said Putin did “an amazing job of taking the mantle” when Russia annexed Crimea in 2014, suggesting it was fine if Russia kept the Ukrainian territory. He repeated a Kremlin talking point, saying, “The people of Crimea, from what I’ve heard, would rather be with Russia than where they were.”

Repeating Russian talking points is the new republican trend. Russian television is running Tucker Carlson just about every day.

Ahead of the 2016 Republican National Convention, Trump campaign aides blocked language from the party platform that called for the US government to send lethal weapons to Ukraine.

Trump has repeatedly denied that Russia interfered in 2016: “My people came to me, Dan Coats came to me and some others saying they think it's Russia. I have President Putin, he just said it’s not Russia. I will say this, I don’t see any reason why it would be.”

Trump on Russian sanctions: “If you get along and if Russia is really helping us, why would anybody have sanctions if somebody’s doing some really great things?”

Trump excusing Putin's murders: “There are a lot of killers. Do you think our country is so innocent?”

Trump shared highly classified intelligence with two senior Russian officials during an Oval Office meeting in May 2017.

Trump said NATO was “obsolete" and threatened to leave NATO.

Trump refused to stand by the NATO Article 5 defense agreement.

Trump eased sanctions on Deripaska.

In summer 2018, Trump blocked his administration from releasing a statement on the 10th anniversary of the Russia-Georgia war.

Trump praised Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban, a top Kremlin ally.

Trump defended the Soviet Union’s invasion of Afghanistan.

Trump gave northern Syria to Putin.

Trump repeated Kremlin talking points about ISIS.

Trump repeated Kremlin talking points about Ukraine.

Trump froze US aid for Ukraine, asking for a political favor before he would release funding.

Trump invited Russia to 2020 G7 summit.

Trump ordered US troops out of Germany.

Just this week, Trump called Putin's actions with respect to Ukraine "genius" and said Putin was "very savvy".

Trump always has been and always will be Putin's Puppet and Clinton was 100% right about Trump: with Trump, all roads lead to Putin.

You've bought more of the Trump/Fox/OANN/Newmax con and grift. Congrats. Shouldn't be long before Trump is fundraising off of war in Ukraine. Double congrats.
If Trump were in office;
- Putin would be happier
- Melania would still be miserable
- maybe Trumpcare would finally have been a thing? (no...)
- he'd have built another few miles of Trumpwall with dollars intended for the military
- his trade war with China would still be a massive failure
- we'd likely be on our 3rd impeachment by now
- a few more ex-trumpers would have been thrown under the bus
- all those classified documents would not have been taken to MaraSinkhole
- Trump would still be lying
Trump was in office.

Putin was happier.

Putin wasn't In Ukraine.

Today.....

Putin is in Ukraine.

And the economy SUCKS in America for many many people.

Good job Nigel.
MaraSinkhole

Speaking of which, I just heard a new one: "MAGA Lardo"

How perfect is that?
Wow. That is the most impressive feat of mental gymnastics I think I have ever seen.
Um. No.

Trump said Putin did “an amazing job of taking the mantle” when Russia annexed Crimea in 2014, suggesting it was fine if Russia kept the Ukrainian territory. He repeated a Kremlin talking point, saying, “The people of Crimea, from what I’ve heard, would rather be with Russia than where they were.”

Repeating Russian talking points is the new republican trend. Russian television is running Tucker Carlson just about every day.

Ahead of the 2016 Republican National Convention, Trump campaign aides blocked language from the party platform that called for the US government to send lethal weapons to Ukraine.

Trump has repeatedly denied that Russia interfered in 2016: “My people came to me, Dan Coats came to me and some others saying they think it's Russia. I have President Putin, he just said it’s not Russia. I will say this, I don’t see any reason why it would be.”

Trump on Russian sanctions: “If you get along and if Russia is really helping us, why would anybody have sanctions if somebody’s doing some really great things?”

Trump excusing Putin's murders: “There are a lot of killers. Do you think our country is so innocent?”

Trump shared highly classified intelligence with two senior Russian officials during an Oval Office meeting in May 2017.

Trump said NATO was “obsolete" and threatened to leave NATO.

Trump refused to stand by the NATO Article 5 defense agreement.

Trump eased sanctions on Deripaska.

In summer 2018, Trump blocked his administration from releasing a statement on the 10th anniversary of the Russia-Georgia war.

Trump praised Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban, a top Kremlin ally.

Trump defended the Soviet Union’s invasion of Afghanistan.

Trump gave northern Syria to Putin.

Trump repeated Kremlin talking points about ISIS.

Trump repeated Kremlin talking points about Ukraine.

Trump froze US aid for Ukraine, asking for a political favor before he would release funding.

Trump invited Russia to 2020 G7 summit.

Trump ordered US troops out of Germany.

Just this week, Trump called Putin's actions with respect to Ukraine "genius" and said Putin was "very savvy".

Trump always has been and always will be Putin's Puppet and Clinton was 100% right about Trump: with Trump, all roads lead to Putin.

You've bought more of the Trump/Fox/OANN/Newmax con and grift. Congrats. Shouldn't be long before Trump is fundraising off of war in Ukraine. Double congrats

Post of the Year
And the economy SUCKS in America for many many people.

Thats always been true. It was true when Trump was in office too.
No. of Recommendations: 4
The economy would suck less for many people if we had a higher minimum wage and true universal health care.
Yes, it was true during Obama also.

But NOW THE BUCK STOPS WITH.......The White House, Speaker, and Majority Leader.

It's high time that arrogant 401K'ers stop lecturing on how great the economy is and attacking personally those who point out otherwise. Let me know when that happens - I can wait a long time.

The economy sucks.

What, no 'rising tides lift all boats!" for $13 MCD wages?

No glib "inflation isn't a biggie" posts?

BIDEN PELOSI SCHUMER.....here's to Dems
Post of the Year

+++++++++++++++

I think you meant, OCD distraction of the century.

Meanwhile, back in the USSR and the rest of the world...?

ww
The economy would suck less for many people if we had a higher minimum wage and true universal health care.

Very true. But we are currently too divided to get much done in that regard.
Go for it. I see the usual people are still here posting the usual ill-informed things. When you’re arrogant, stubborn, poorly read, think that snark is an acceptable form of discourse, live in an intellectual bubble and get all your “information” from people just like themselves you think you’re the King…but in reality other people just see somebody waddling around sucking a thumb.

When America broadcasts weakness and acts against its best interests, you get stuff like this. You’d think that years of being told by none other than Reality itself that what the left wants doesn’t work would teach these people something. But nope, they act shocked each and every time. Even better they lash out and blame literally everyone else for their failings.

Fortunately, they represent the dead end of the democrat party. They’re going to be destroyed in November in ways that won’t be fully appreciated for years to come - the good part is that the left’s most frivolous losers will be kicked to the curb and hopefully never heard from again. The best part will be these same thumb-suckers claiming to have always been worried about the really crazy left wingers that they enthusiastically supported in actual fact.

libs. Even the most acid-dipping comedy writers couldn’t make them up.
The truly ironic thing is that thanks to their energy policies, these NPC’s have been PAYING for Putin’s weaponry for years. Now old Vlad is putting their money to work.

If only they’d listened when we told them how to deal with the Russkies…but NAH. They know better!

Way to go, gang!
Yes, it was true during Obama also.

Yes and it was true under Bush the Lesser, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, Carter, Ford, Nixon...

Quit trolling, Jedi.
Remember how in 2012 these same people giggled when Obama said, “The 80’s called, they want their foreign policy back”? They were mega wrong then and didn’t learn anything.

That’s okay. Life tends to hand out these lessons every so often.

Think they’ll learn that when you apologize for being an American and work to tear the place down that others won’t notice? It’s going to take decades to unwind all that’s been set in motion. Too bad the howlers have been too busy out-#wokeing each other to have been paying attention.

Ukraine was the wind up. Taiwan is the actual pitch. They’ll swing and miss as usual.
He didn't keep the sanctions in place. Congress did that. Obama imposed sanctions and Trump said he was going to lift them. In a rare display of bi-partisanship, Congress passed veto-proof legislation prohibiting Trump from lifting the sanctions.

Of course, Trump was still responsible for actually enforcing the sanctions, which he didn't.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Let’s go, Brandon!

::You cannot add one of your Favorite Fools as an Ignored Fool::

Well crap, I guess I better go and fix that.
No. of Recommendations: 6
Bill regarding NewEnchota’s post…Post of the Year

+++++++++++++++

ww…I think you meant, OCD distraction of the century.

The truth was laid out for you, something you could have done if you weren’t so engrossed in lies. The most amazing thing to me is all you RWNJs will go right on believing the idiotic crap that was drilled into your heads. There is a word for that!

proton
Of course, Trump was still responsible for actually enforcing the sanctions, which he didn't.

++++++++++++++++

So once on board, BIDEN formally removes the sanctions.

Then he has to reimpose them pretending he is being so stern with Putin. What a crock and a joke.

But keep the distraction up and obsess with "what if Trump..." and ignore current events all you must.

ww
Well crap, I guess I better go and fix that.

It's cool.

By the way: I told you so.

<click>
. The most amazing thing to me is all you RWNJs will go right on believing the idiotic crap that was drilled into your heads. There is a word for that!

Two words, actually- “useful idiots”
No. of Recommendations: 8
TheDope1: Troops out of Germany? What, was he planning on rolling tanks into Moscow? Besides, more resources went into Poland.

Ah, the uninformed cult. Trump's plan was to cut 10,000 troops from Germany and add up to 1,000 in Poland. Eight months after his announcement, Trump still had sent zero troops to Poland. Did they ever deploy?

TRUMP: "We would be taking them out of Germany or we would be moving them from another location. It would be no additional troops to Europe."

TheDope1: libs think that what is said is more important than what one does.

Biden's action: deploying 3,000 additional forces to Eastern and Central Europe. Let's see what additional sanctions are announced today.

Trump's words: Invading Ukraine is "genius," "wonderful" and "very savvy," words that would have outraged your average republican or conservative pre-Fat Mussolini. Now Fox and its republican or conservative viewers literally applaud and support communism and invasion. Congrats.
Biden's action: deploying 3,000 additional forces to Eastern and Central Europe.

Uh, huh. What are you planning on having these troops do?

Going to invade Russia, are you? Planning on intervening on the Ukraine's behalf? You're going to need more than 3,000 guys. Maybe the #wokesters the left has wanted to staff up the military with will sign right up.

Biden and Obama sent blankets and MREs to the Ukrainians the first time Putin rattled his saber. libs said that was the right call. Trump at least gave them weapons. Fortunately Biden wasn't completely stupid and kept that going.

Ewe people were told how to deal with Russia. But instead, you thought it would be fun to make fun of Trump. Turns out he was right on:

https://twitter.com/RFERL/status/1017002119155650560?ref_src...

I won't quote it because you won't watch it, but I'll leave it here for you anyway.
BTW part 1: How many folx here were on board with NATO nations paying what they should have been paying for mutual defense? Almost none.

BTW part 2: the 1980's called and they want their foreign policy back. Oh, how this board giggled over that. Who's laughing now?

Toodles!
No. of Recommendations: 7
As usual, two irrelevant and idiotic talking points that have nothing to do with what is happening now posted by an ignorant and arrogant Trump cultist who supported Putin over his own country's intelligence and military services.

As I have said before, so-called RWNJs are traitorous p-o-s who support enemies of the West. Idiots...and not useful at all.

Cheers,

Icemann
LOLOLOLOL @ this.

BTW, aren't you a Canadian? How very...beautiful.
oing to invade Russia, are you?

That has never been the plan.

Strengthening the unity and force structure of Western Europe has always been the plan.

This is exactly what Biden has been about, and the thing at which Trump proved to be an abject failure.

Three days ago Russia Today discussed the west’s coalescing unity, a unity from which Russia Today wistfully remembered- they had been granted a “four year reprieve”.

For four years, your conservatism has been suborned by an “America First” ideology of isolationism that served only to further the expansionist aims of a resurgent Russia.

We, for our part, chanted “Give peace a chance” for too long and allowed ourselves to lose an international focus by getting dragged into the culture wars here at home.

Enough! Time for all of us to wake up and face the world and the threat we face.
And you are Russian- well a Putin-supporter and snowflake at the very least.

You are a hypocrite who can only state "I won this argument" over and over again without ever making any relevant points. As always, you misconstrue what is said and do so with appalling regularity. Try to actually have a backbone and think for yourself - I know the first time is the hardest - and try to actually understand what it is to support friends and allies. Of course, that does not feed into the selfish, hypocritical, whining snowflake-brand that is the Trumpism you unquestioningly love and support.

Cheers,

Icemann <--half of my family is American but that is irrelevant - Putin is the enemy of the West...
That has never been the plan.

Good. The other guy's 3,000 troops aren't enough.

Strengthening the unity and force structure of Western Europe has always been the plan.

Oh, really? So things like...say...getting NATO to actually pay their bills and strengthen defense budgets might play into that, right?

But I recall this board losing its mind when Trump (since you all insist this is all his fault, lol) suggested that. Here, here's a sample of what Trump was saying:

https://twitter.com/RFERL/status/1017002119155650560?ref_src...

I'll leave it to you to watch.

This is exactly what Biden has been about, and the thing at which Trump proved to be an abject failure.

How, exactly?

For four years, your conservatism has been suborned by an “America First” ideology of isolationism that served only to further the expansionist aims of a resurgent Russia.

Right, by focusing on rearming, domestic energy production and strengthening domestic manufacturing. None of that stuff has anything to do with the nation's strategic posture, no siree!

Come on, man.

Time for all of us to wake up and face the world and the threat we face.

Been trying to tell you that for decades. Nobody here listened.

Good luck.
LOL. More hate from the Canadian.

How ironic.

BTW, it's pretty clear who *your* enemies are, and they're not the Russians.

Good luck.
Not hate - disgust. Your lips are so firmly planted on whatever idiot-stick Trump says and does, it is pretty clear that you love your Putin.

Cheers,

Icemann
We, for our part, chanted “Give peace a chance” for too long and allowed ourselves to lose an international focus by getting dragged into the culture wars here at home.

Enough! Time for all of us to wake up and face the world and the threat we face.

+++++++++++++++++++++

You mean to give up on the "If Trump was in office" screen. Be in the now? Comment on current events with the current actors on the stage.

How very attentive you just became. A little too much shock and awe?

Well, at least YOU are awake. Now ditch the woke and get with it! Your leash is off...go for it.

ww
Nah, it's hate. This board tends to marinate in it.

Glad to see nothing's changed! You keep on being you.

Meanwhile, the world is unfolding as some of us told you it would. You sneered. You laughed.

Looks like you're not laughing now. But will you learn anything?

Jury's out.
As usual, your regular whine "I won"...oh well.

By the way, 'hate' is supporting and celebrating people who attacked an elected government; hate is supporting the threats your 'tribe' constantly puts out attacking school boards and election officials; hate is attacking health professionals doing their job; hate is attacking visible minorities with ridiculous voting laws etc. That is hate.

I know you like to bully defenseless people like any Trumper, but you can't really do it to facts, logic and rational thought.

Cheers,

Icemann
I didn't win. Reality did. I just told you about in advance. Per usual, you didn't want to listen.

How's that working out for you?

Hate is never a strategy. Perhaps you'll review your thinking in the future.
TROLLING is constantly bringing up a President who isn't even in office, and being too arrogant and hateful not to just say - Trump has zilch to do with it, and we were wrong calling him Putin puppet.

SNOBBY and fascist and intolerant is saying "Troll" when real points, about real people - whose economy sucks is brought up.

Your personal attacks? More please.

It only means you'll have to see more links about what you don't care about: How sucky the economy is.
Idiots...and not useful at all.

They're useful to the enemies of America and democracy.

--Peter
Jedi,

You do understand that you yourself always employ personal attacks (indirectly at the very least) on groups of people as well as on individuals...just because someone might be more pinpoint in identifying idiots, doesn't mean that you are not doing the same on a larger scale. You may think it is clever doing it that way, but it still is an attack on people and often on individuals. You may not use a list of names etc but it is still a personal attack. A facade of being 'polite' and not calling someone an 'idiot' is still just a facade.

The difference being though is you have been very clear about your disgruntlement with everyone...now that is trolling.

I just have incredible disgust for hypocrites and lying, dishonourable idiots. There is no point in trying to discuss things with them because what is the point.

Cheers,

Icemann
Oh, really? So things like...say...getting NATO to actually pay their bills and strengthen defense budgets might play into that, right?

Most countries were already stepping up their defense budgets. Crimea, and not Trump, was the wake-up call for that…. you know——— the Takeover of Crimea that Trump actually vocally, and on record- supported.
Most countries were already stepping up their defense budgets. Crimea, and not Trump, was the wake-up call for that…. you know——— the Takeover of Crimea that Trump actually vocally, and on record- supported.

Did he, now? By the way. Which current occupant of the White House was also in the White House when THAT happened? Vice President Joe Biiii- come on, you finish it out.

Let's remind ourselves that this board was unanimous in decrying Trump's asking the NATO deadbeats to actually buy weapons. The "logic" went that by somehow asking NATO countries like Germany to step up meet their defense obligations that Trump was somehow weakening NATO.

Riiiight. How'd that work out?

It was also ridiculous to assert that buying your energy from Putin was a bad idea. How's that working out? BTW we're about to find out here at home thanks to us buying Russkie oil.

Gee...if only someone had suggested we do this thing called "Energy independence". Would have strengthened our hand considerably.

Oh, well!
TROLLING is constantly bringing up a President who isn't even in office…

No. Trolling is deliberately posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive or provocative content, as you did with your “the economy sucks for many”. You just did it to illicit a reaction. It has always been true, but you hope to get a response when you imply that this has only happened because Biden, or something. That’s trolling.

Bringing up someone who is likely running FOR President is obviously not that.
Talking about what he did when he WAS president is not that.
Restating that he LOST the last election is not that.

You’re welcome.
Germany spent 14% of GDP on defense. I'm now math wizard, but I'm pretty sure that 14% is more than 2%.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Gee...if only someone had suggested we do this thing called "Energy independence". Would have strengthened our hand considerably.

It's worth noting that we basically have energy independence in the United States.

We've long produced all of our coal requirements domestically, with a fair amount of exports. We also produce more than enough natural gas to meet all of our own requirements as well - for the last five years, we've been a net exporter of NG.

And for the last two and a half years (even before the pandemic), we've been a net exporter of petroleum products as well:

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=pet&...

We still import a decent amount of crude oil - but we export more finished product. So we're basically 'exporting' our excess domestic refining capacity to countries like Mexico, not relying on imports to meet domestic energy needs.

Albaby
Germany spent 14% of GDP on defense.

Nope. You missed a decimal place:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/11/08/germany-fina...

or

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/lets-not-forget-german...

As Russia invades Ukraine, it’s worth remembering that not only has Germany phased out its successful nuclear program, ensuring that Europe will be more reliant on Russian energy — making the cost of implementing sanctions far more painful for the West — but it hasn’t taken NATO seriously in years.

Member nations have promised to spend a measly 2 percent of GDP on defense. Pre-Covid, only nine of 28 nations in the pact had done so: the U.S., Greece, Estonia, the U.K., Romania, Lithuania, Latvia, and Poland. Turkey, France, Norway, Slovakia, Croatia, Montenegro, and Portugal all spend more of their GDP on defense than the fourth-largest economy in the world, which spends 1.38 percent.

In other words, ~1.4%. NOT 14%.
It's worth noting that we basically have energy independence in the United States.

We did, now we will not be:

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=51338
Following its historic shift to being a net exporter of petroleum in 2020, the United States continued to export more petroleum (which includes crude oil, refined petroleum products, and other liquids) than it imported in 2021. According to our February 2022 Short-Term Energy Outlook (STEO), we expect net crude oil imports to increase, making the United States a net importer of petroleum in 2022.
ICE, pointing out that someone summarily saying "great economy" is wrong - and using links is not trolling.

What's done to me by a few - daily - is.

And I'll keep responding with facts - which the Trumpers here don't like.

But hey, y'all keep making it about me - that's cool:)
By the way.

The guy who put Germany on the path to shutting down its nuke plants way back in 2002? That would be former chancellor Gerhard Schröder.

Care to guess what job he has right now?

He's got a new gig:
https://www.nord-stream.com/about-us/our-shareholders-commit...

Gerhard Schröder
Chairman of the Shareholders’ Committee and former Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany

Along with this guy
Oleg Aksyutin
Deputy Chairman of the Gazprom Management Committee

and this gal
Elena Burmistrova
Deputy Chairman of the Gazprom Management Committee

and this guy
Alexander Medvedev
Advisor to the Director General of Gazprom Export LLC

and this guy
Dmitry Khandoga
Head of Department 512, PJSC Gazprom
I stand corrected. I was looking at different part of the NATO budget.
And I'll keep responding with facts - which the Trumpers here don't like.

There are very few facts in your posts here, jedi. Most of them are your typical word salad, peppered with vague insults.

Just thought you’d like to know you are perceived. Just my opinion, of course.
I stand corrected. I was looking at different part of the NATO budget.

Rec paid.
We did, now we will not be:

Temporarily. Also from the report:

We expect the United States to import less crude oil than it exports in 2023 because we expect domestic crude oil production will increase to an all-time high of 12.6 million b/d.

Having a brief, and relatively small, deficit in net petroleum usage isn't something that materially affects our energy dependence position. After all, petroleum itself is only a component of our overall energy usage - and with a strategic reserve of several hundreds of millions of barrels, that shortfall could be covered (in an emergency) by drawing down the SPR.

The more important point is that being energy independent (either entirely or substantially) doesn't insulate your economy from the global price of oil. It protects you against embargos forcing your country to do without oil, which is important (especially for military uses). But whether you're an importer or an exporter of oil, if the global price rises because of demand or supply shocks, the consumers in your country will still be exposed to rising oil prices.

That's why Russia has significant leverage. Oil prices were already high for a variety of reasons, as were natural gas prices in Europe. Which means that a long-term increase in oil and gas prices caused by economic sanctions will result in some serious pain for Western voters. Far more pain than if Russia had made this move a few years ago.

Albaby
Hi Nigel - keep going personal and making it about ME -that's what Trumpers do.

I'll keep posting, with links - how inflation IS real and hurting real people, and how HUGE groups of people....face a crappy Biden economy.

What you don't realize is - I don't care how out of touch, arrogant people perceive me. These are the same people who each month have "PUTIN!" "ORBAN!" "ROGAN!" - they need a demon.

But.....not like they care....

It doesn't put food on the table for the many in America- whose Biden economy and Dem-Flation stinks.

It doesn't help Ukrainians - who are getting a butt whipping - under Obama and now Biden.

There, you went ME - I went real facts - as I always always will :)
That's why Russia has significant leverage. Oil prices were already high for a variety of reasons, as were natural gas prices in Europe. Which means that a long-term increase in oil and gas prices caused by economic sanctions will result in some serious pain for Western voters. Far more pain than if Russia had made this move a few years ago.

Which is why we should have had every tap in the country open and helping to drive the price of a barrel of oil down as part as it's economically feasible for US domestic oil producers. Ditto natural gas.
"how inflation IS real and hurting real people, and how HUGE groups of people....face a crappy ...Nixon/Ford/Carter/Reagan/BushSr/Clinton/BushJr/Obama/Trump/Biden economy."

(fixed that up for you)

Yes, the economy is always tough on many. Has been for a very long time. I truly wish we would do a better job in lifting up those who struggle. But too many feel that we shouldn't. They say "get a job" or "take a small loan of $1M from your father" or "lift yourselves up by the bootstraps, even if you have no boots". Stuff like that.

What you don't realize is - I don't care how out of touch, arrogant people perceive me.

Oh, no I get that. That much is very obvious.
Which is why we should have had every tap in the country open and helping to drive the price of a barrel of oil down as part as it's economically feasible for US domestic oil producers. Ditto natural gas.

Easy to say, but hard to do in a free market economy. "We" don't get to decide whether every tap in the country is open - the companies who own the taps do.

Again, there's a reason why oil and gas prices were high - globally - before Russia started gearing up for the invasion. The pandemic crushed short-term demand for energy supplies, driving down prices and driving a lot of the smaller fracking companies (which are the swing producers in the U.S.) out of business. When oil prices started rising over the summer as we started coming out of the pandemic, the remaining producers have been increasing their rig counts modestly, even in the face of rising prices. That's a rational market response - energy is a boom and bust business, and the remaining producers are in it for the long haul, so they're going to price and calibrate their rig investments based on the longer-term price of oil, and not near term movements. That gave OPEC+ the freedom to keep their taps a little less open than usual as well.

Because the short-term rise in price was caused by recovery coming out of the pandemic, rather than long-term permanent organic changes in oil demand, no one was rushing to build new "taps" to increase oil supply. Coming out of the pandemic created price spikes in a host of globally traded fungible goods, including oil and gas. And that created the perfect economic environment for Russia to act. European natural gas prices were already at near-term record highs during the summer as restrictions were lifted:

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/eu-natural-gas

....making the economic pain of adding price spikes due to sanctions against Russia all the higher.

Albaby
Did he, now? By the way. Which current occupant of the White House was also in the White House when THAT happened? Vice President Joe Biiii- come on, you finish it out.

Yes, he did vocally and on record support Putin’s takeover of Crimea.

Who was president when Crimea was “annexed”? Obama, who with the rest of the western world was caught flat footed by this invasion and annexation of a portion of another country in the heart of Europe.

Of course, just a year later, our country was treated to a president who continually sang Putin’s tune- beginning with Crimea, and whose social media army unwittingly became the main port of entry into the U.S. for Russian disinformation.

But again- enough of this crap. Continuing to attack each other serves no one’s strategic interests except Putin’s.

Some good news: Today, Russian police have arrested about 200 anti-war protestors in Moscow.

With body bags about to make their way back to Russia (and even if Russia replays a tactic they’ve used before- NOT sending back the body bags, but instead burying them in country), this will not remain hidden. Too many iphones in Russia. Too much internet connectivity to keep this secret from his own population.

Up to 90% of the Russian population opposes war in Ukraine. Millions of Russians have ties, friends and relatives in Ukraine.

This is the target population, and we’ve already heard important dissident voices within Russia, voices EVEN WHILE IN JAIL, willing to accurately lay the blame for the difficulties descending on the Russian people….. and then get their message out to the people.

Last night, Putin indirectly voiced the threat of nuclear war if western powers intervened to militarily assist Ukraine, and I believe he would do it.

Biden’s approach is not to assure such an outcome by militarily attacking him- and you and I both know that we don’t have enough troops in Europe and nor could we get enough troops in Europe to affect a positive outcome in Ukraine, in time.

Rather than acting in a losing fashion by sending too few troops and thus risking nuclear war, Biden is going with the strategy that has evolved since the Cold War.

Strengthen the ties with and within NATO.

Support Ukraine with nonlethal and lethal aid to Ukraine and Ukrain partisans after the Ukraine army ditches its uniforms and fade into the forest- which will probably happen soon.

And then strengthen NATO’s eastern border- Poland and the Baltics.
One other thing. This is Exhibit A of wishcasting as foreign policy and it needs to stop. Now.

https://redstate.com/mike_miller/2022/02/24/white-house-incr...

This is Jen Psaki insisting that their approach has worked:

We made the assessment — others can have different assessments — that this would be a way to achieve the outcome that we’ve now achieved.

Others can have different assessments [but] there’s no proof or evidence that their approach would have worked.

Ours has worked.

Seriously. This level of Bagdhad Bob gaslighting is what passes for communicating with the public. Talk about "misinformation". Who's feeding her this nonsense?

And here's Blinken a few weeks ago talking about the awesome sanctions:
All of the things that we’re doing, including building up in a united way with Europe, massive consequences for Russia, is designed to factor into President [Vladimir] Putin’s calculus and to deter and dissuade them from taking aggressive action, even as we pursue diplomacy at the same time.

As the author said, that aged well.
So to continuously crow about how great things are - and then call someone "troll" for pointing out in multiple instances that this is not so - and STILL not admitting that is wrong- is Trumpy.

That's cool.

dem-Flation, and the Biden economy stinks.
Go easy on Psaki.

That Stalinists Said not too long ago not to ask them hard questions.

Luckily they walked it back - but it was a glimpse into who truly are the ones with contempt for "democracy!"
"So to continuously crow about how great things are - and then call someone "troll" for pointing out in multiple instances that this is not so - and STILL not admitting that is wrong- is Trumpy.

That's cool."

You are saying that...Nigel... is Trumpy?? That's rich LOL
Go easy on Psaki.

That Stalinists Said not too long ago not to ask them hard questions.

Luckily they walked it back - but it was a glimpse into who truly are the ones with contempt for "democracy!"

Fortunately, the voters *won't* take it easy on them this fall. And again in 2024.

Remember when "politics stop at the water's edge" and how you and I would plead for unity? They started this nonsense with undermining Bush's Iraq policy, actively ridiculed anyone who disagreed with Obama's apology tours and deals with the worst of the worst (like Iran), and openly undermined Trump. Now they want "unity". Oh, and you're a traitor/Putin fanboi if you think (correctly) that they don't know what they're doing.

In November, voters will blow the democrats out of the House of Reps (and hopefully the Senate) in record numbers. That will also spillover downticket in statewide races. Why does that matter? Because today's State Senators and Attorney Generals and State Reps are tomorrow's Senators, Representatives and Governors. Then they become next week's Presidential candidates.

The democrats' bench was obliterated starting in 2010 and has only gotten worse since then. Remember that? They scoffed. The left won't learn the lessons it should be learning:

*Get woke, go broke
*The military's job is blowing up stuff. Not Robin DiAngelo study hour.
*The Squad is a collection of toxic losers, dump them
*The rest of the world does its thing and that thing isn't what you wish it was
*Some people in the world you just can't reason with, nor should you
*Stop treating your fellow Americans as enemies, and maybe they'll stop returning the favor.

That last one is something they won't be able to do. When you've microwaved yourself in the Hate Oven for as long as some here (check out Val Kilmer's posts as an example even though he's a happy little Canadian) there's little likelihood of coming back. Stil, for the sober adults that might still be in the democrat party they might have a glimmer or two of some of this.

I doubt it, though. I think it's going to take halfway through President DeSantis' 2nd term before they wake up. Say, oh, around the year 2031 or so.
Germany needs to be brought in line. So...take every last US soldier stationed there and put them all into Poland. The Poles have offered multiple times to build bases.

I hear you. Maybe not every soldier. But I believe that re-orientation is already under way.

One of the reasons for having so many soldiers in Germany was that Germany formed the dividing line between NATO and the Soviet bloc ( I swear, that seems to me to be the first time I’ve written that term “Soviet bloc” since the 1990s).

Anyway- that dividing line is now a few hundred miles east of there, and it needs to remain there. “Soviet” or “Russian” makes no difference. Just the same authoritarians now 30 years older.
So to continuously crow about how great things are

Except nobody has said how great things are.
Except nobody has said how great things are.

++++++++++++

Instead of facing that head on and providing things to do to move forward, you all wallow in creating relative success by being consumed with Trump still.

Carry on.

ww
I hear you. Maybe not every soldier. But I believe that re-orientation is already under way.

They can keep the hospitals, the airfield at Ramstein(?) and whatever we have in major shipping ports like Hamburg. But everything else could be moved forward into Poland.

One of the reasons for having so many soldiers in Germany was that Germany formed the dividing line between NATO and the Soviet bloc ( I swear, that seems to me to be the first time I’ve written that term “Soviet bloc” since the 1990s).

Anyway- that dividing line is now a few hundred miles east of there, and it needs to remain there. “Soviet” or “Russian” makes no difference. Just the same authoritarians now 30 years older.

And the same ruthless need to elbow their way around.

The Russians aren't the real threat. The folks who've stayed 100% silent on this stuff - the Chinese - are.
Yes, they have.

If we want to parse words - that's the Trumpy thing they can do that.

But it's fair game to provide links - and show - the economy stinks and at very least isn't great.

Or do we just do "the stock market is up! Thanks Biden"?

We can.

But we can also refute it.

Got it covered.
Instead of facing that head on and providing things to do to move forward, you all wallow in creating relative success by being consumed with Trump still.

Carry on.

Dealing with the authoritarian power grabs of Trump and his followers is an essential component of “moving forward”.

Patients who can’t come to terms with having cancer in their bodies…… usually die.
The Russians aren't the real threat. The folks who've stayed 100% silent on this stuff - the Chinese - are.

They’re watching to see what we do, for sure.

Whether we take up Putin’s challenge of military confrontation in Ukraine that ends either in exhausting ourselves or mutual nuclear immolation (that’s when China takes Taiwan)……… or we defend the borders of NATO and then economically strangle him while his troops come back from fighting partisans in Ukraine- in body bags, and his own citizens rise up against him.

Today alone-

Hundreds of protesting Russians arrested by police

(And the next may be even more relevant id true, though it was reported in WaPo as true)……

A Russian rifle squad surrendered to Ukrainian troops- voluntarily, I understand.

They said nobody had told them they’d be shooting Ukrainians.

And this is only Day 1 of Russia’s invasion and occupation of Ukraine.

Of course the random calculus of war could figure against us as well. Putin could blow right through our first arriving troops on the NATO border in a strike to the Baltics and/or Poland.

Best case scenario- either his own citizens remove him, or he’s overthrown within his circle of kleptocrats who are losing billions of dollars to sanctions

Military option remains and is exercised for now by insuring the territorial integrity of NATO. Who knows if that can be maintained without engaging Russian forces? Wars are incredibly messy, unpredictable, and Putin plays by his own set of rules.
Putin could blow right through our first arriving troops on the NATO border in a strike to the Baltics and/or Poland.

Poland? (The Baltics and Poland)
I think that this is completely overblown. NATO has three-million active duty personnel. You overestimate what Putin's 180,000 troops can maintain control over. In fact, most military experts don't believe his current invading forces can control all of Ukraine, especially that portion West of the Dnieper River.
Now, imagine trying to supply a hundred-thousand troops across a hostile country while taking one the most sophisticated military organization on Earth. I understand that there is a lot of paranoia, and this is a sad week for Ukraine, but it is best not to display fantasy for the sake of argument.

Both are threats. But there is a worse threat. A combination of leftist political types and corporate media. No matter their stated goals "for the people", the policies they shove down our throats always burden the US with more problems, expenses and restrictions that other places don't worry about.

Why are we the only country whose job it is to sacrifice our economy to go to green energy? Russia and china don't. We were energy independent and now we buy petroleum from Russia and Iran. Had we just stayed with earlier policies, we could be selling energy to Europe so they aren't dependent on Russia. No way to pay for his invasion. No, we have to be virtuous, even as Russia does whatever it wants. Think china isn't watching too?

Why is our job to take in everyone who arrives at our border regardless of skills, health or criminal background when most other countries care who arrives? How much blood and treasure will we burn protecting Ukraine borders when our modern left won't let Biden protect ours?

Why is it a bad thing to arrest and prosecute criminals?

This is madness.
No. of Recommendations: 20
Both are threats. But there is a worse threat. A combination of leftist political types and corporate media.

Normally I don't waste my time with this kind of garbage, but this one is just too much.

No, the "left" who thinks we should have universal health care and universal higher education paid for through taxes is not as dangerous as Russia, or particularly Russia and China combined.

It is a much bigger threat if the USA follows the same kind of authoritarian path that Russia and China are on. At that point, it's pretty much game over for democracy and freedom in the world. Unfortunately, the GOP has embraced that path, and it is terrifying that the ones who want a course correction are few and far between. And if they speak openly, they are run out of the inner circle with attempts to replace them with "loyalists"--just like you would expect in an authoritarian country.

Why are we the only country whose job it is to sacrifice our economy to go to green energy?

How is the economy being sacrificed? Is it the 7 million jobs created in the last year? Record low unemployment claims? 6.7% GDP growth? Which of those awful numbers is due to "green energy"?

(Not to mention, all of the European countries, along with some Asian countries are also making transitions to "green energy.")

We were energy independent and now we buy petroleum from Russia and Iran.
First, the USA imports zero petroleum from Iran.

We did import petroleum from Russia in 2021, but we were also importing from Russia in 2017--2020.

Also, tons of drilling got shut in during the downturn in 2020. Those companies lost a lot of money. They are now saying they will happily cash checks before increasing their drilling budgets.

In short--in an economic recovery, every time, oil demand recovers faster than supply. That is particularly true this time because the recovery is the strongest we've seen in 50 years.

How much blood and treasure will we burn protecting Ukraine borders...?

Evidently none. Biden has repeatedly said we are not sending troops to Ukraine.
"freedom" and "democracy" and "constitution!" - things that the Left has long wanted to change - and even the Right too.

Let me see Righties say "We want Freedom! So if you decide you don't want to keep a pregnancy, you're free to handle that. IF you want to marry someone of same sex, we wish you love and joy. Wanna burn a flag? Not our thing but it's your right...."

Let me see Leftists say "We want Freedom! You are free to pick you child's school - and your zip code has little to do with it. Eat whatever you like - fats, carbs, processed, have at it. Our constitution establishes an electoral college - we're fine with that. You're free NOT to have to make a cake for a marriage you don't believe in morally. "

I've written long ago - the Bill of Rights *will* be curtailed or changed.

"Democracy" in America and Europe - is going to tighten up on the masses - even the 401K'ers.

I used to loath that all.

I'm now vehemently for it - and be it Bush, Biden, Clinton, Merkel, Macron - I salute them all for moving the process along.

It won't be stopped now....

Drip, Drip, Drip....
Putin didn't need to invade when Trump was in office because Trump was weakening NATO from within. Trump had told people that pulling out of NATO was one of his goals for his second term.

I agree. Searching for trump nato second term results in many articles that say Trump would pull out of NATO in his second term. Putin, who has been in power for over 20 years, was probably surprised Trump could not manage to win a second term.
You overestimate what Putin's 180,000 troops can maintain control over. In fact, most military experts don't believe his current invading forces can control all of Ukraine, especially that portion West of the Dnieper River.

I didn’t overestimate a thing regarding Putin’s problems in Ukraine. Re-read my post.

As for NATO available troops- true. There are almost 3,400,000 of them.

But to a large extent, they are a hollow force, with the majority of them being reservists. Imorovements have been made since the Crimea annexation, but they still face problems with being able to work together- tactics, communications (multiple languages) and communications gear ( some communications gear won’t actually communicate with other nations’ communication gear) different artillery, different ammunition calibers).

Reduced combined training schedules- improved somewhat since 2014, but still not on par with Combined arms capabilities of Russian integrated forces that have the advantage of one command structure, one language (mostly) standardized specifications and calibers and thus- supply requirements.

Not an insurmountable challenge, but the forces are more evenly matched than comparative personnel numbers would indicate.

Plus- NATO forces have only now begun deployment to the border in anything approaching robust figures. The more time we have, the better, but that may not be under our control.

Pray for Ukrainian troops to continue frustrating the daily goals on his time line.
Wearing NATO from within. Wow, I never knew Trump had the attention span, brains, and strategic thinking to weaken a rather venerable, strong alliance!

Oh - he did loudly ask Europeans to spend more on defense - yeah, more heavily armed European countries.....that would "weaken" NATO....I won't pretend to understand that.

NATO will eb fine. Europe can criticize and lecture America, Liberals can join them - but they can all cry like little puppies when they need America - like now.

I really hope the day comes when America is unable to protect snobby ungrateful nations.

Can't some soon enough.

Who knows, maybe I need to be like Liberals and start quietly cheering China on.
Wearing NATO from within. Wow, I never knew Trump had the attention span, brains, and strategic thinking to weaken a rather venerable, strong alliance!

It was a weak alliance that only now is rediscovering its own vital mission- ensuring the territorial integrity of its member states.
I didn’t overestimate a thing regarding Putin’s problems in Ukraine. Re-read my post.

With respect, I believe you did with regard to the comment that the Russian Army has the capability to invade Poland; that said, yes almost all of what you said was reasoned and rational, and I agree that war is unpredictable. I agree that Putin will be under considerable strain with the Russian People at home. I don't think we really know much about Putin, but at the very least reports have maintained that he has been very isolated since the pandemic and his point of view may be very insular. He probably is not counting on the full Russian repercussions. You expressed this very well.

But to a large extent, they NATO are a hollow force

NATO’s Very High Readiness Joint Task Force stand at 40,000
NATO’s Rapid Deployable Corps stands at about 15,000. This is during peacetime activities where NATO is not on alert. These are not “hollow” forces by any means, theses are among the best trained forces on Earth. And, BTW I wouldn't under-estimate reservists. A large number of Putin's forces are reservists too (Russian military reserve force).
The US is the backbone of air power in NATO, but that doesn’t mean that German, France, and the UK are something to be dismissed.

However, in the meantime since Russia has been preparing for war, the US and NATO has tripled this standing Army in NATO States; and that is just what has been reported to the press, you can be sure that Germany and the US have deployed members into Ukraine on stealth missions. The US has already deployed The 82nd Airborne to parts of Poland, and that's just what we know about.

Furthermore, it would only take a couple of hours for the US and its Allies to have complete air superiority over Poland. Actually, it would only take a few hours for the US and its Allies to have complete air superiority over Ukraine. Putin is well-aware of this, and that is why he has threatened the West with tactical nukes. A column of tanks in Western Ukraine without air-support facing just one squadron of boeing f-15e strike eagles would be over in minutes; that's a 250,000 pound payload, just one squadron.

still (NATO) not on par with Combined arms capabilities of Russian integrated forces that have the advantage of one command

NATO forces have been training together for decades. NATO forces operate independently under one command during training all the time. NATO training operations give other countries command over operation of all NATO units all the time, even Poland has had full command over NATO training operations. Do you really believe that French and German commanders don't speak English? Even air-traffic controllers around the world use English all the time (everyday) when there is any language disparity.
I disagree that the Russian Army (and its Naval and Air Forces) are in any way superior to NATO forces. And Putin is well-aware of this, again his threat of nuclear forces are his only shield.
When you’re arrogant, stubborn, poorly read, think that snark is an acceptable form of discourse, live in an intellectual bubble and get all your “information” from people just like themselves you think you’re the King

Hmmmmm.... does sound like trump. Think you finally nailed it
"When you’re arrogant, stubborn, poorly read, think that snark is an acceptable form of discourse, live in an intellectual bubble and get all your “information” from people just like themselves you think you’re the King

Hmmmmm.... does sound like trump. Think you finally nailed it"

Sounds like PA.
Astounding how many "conservatives" support Putin.

May 20, 2022: "Russian troops rape baby, 1, to death in evil spate of child sex attacks, Ukraine claims

WARNING DISTRESSING CONTENT: A baby boy aged just one-year-old has died after being raped by Russian soldiers, Ukraine's Ministry of Defence claims following an hour of 10 horrendous civilian reports."

May 20: Republicans vote against bill to address dire shortage of baby formula in US.