No. of Recommendations: 0
The perennial question... Should I pay off my loans?

Here is my situation...

Mid 30s. Infant child. Homeowner with a mortgage/condo fees.

I owe about $7750 on my loans. Interest rate is approx 6.67%. Already (unfortunately) consolidated. :(

I have $20k in (liquid) savings, but that is earmarked in various ways. I would say $10k of that I would consider 'E-Fund'... The rest is set up to pre-save for mortgage (withdraw weekly to a saving account, then auto-debit from lender for monthly payment, which puts an extra mortgage payment in savings each year); pre-save for insurance (same deal, save the money in advance then pay in full, to avoid payment plan fees); and pre-saving for a car payment, so I can buy a car outright when my lease ends next year (this is about $5k of my savings).

Complicated, I know, but it works for me :-)

I also have approx $5500 in CDs which wont mature for 4-8 years, but I could always break them and eat 6 months interest as a penalty if required.

Finally, I have my 401k. I am saving 10% right now... I do have enough in there to borrow the max ($50k) if I chose to do so (which I really dont want to)

Its worth mentioning that I really want (not need) to sell my place and buy a single family home. This year. I know my e-fund isnt as robust as I'd like, but that is both another conversation as well as germane to my quandary...

So, as the new year begins unfolding, I am wondering if I should:
(a) Leave well enough alone. Make those minimum $130/month payments and not worry about it--I mean c'mon! Its 'Good Debt', aint it? </sarcarsm>
(b) Pay off the loans from my savings. Just lease another car next year instead of buy--which is what I'd likely do anyway as I think NYC destroys cars which is enough to get me past my anti-lease views in the past
(c) Use one of those blank checks my credit card company sends me (I dont carry balances on credit cards--this is my last piece of 'debt' outside of the mortgage and lease payment) to pay it off. 0% interest for 2 years. 3% fee.
(d) Lower my 401k withholding to 6% and roll the post-tax adjusted take-home bump into my student loan payment (would pay off the loan in 3-4 years, maybe a little quicker)

There are also combinations of the above. I am trying to balance a need for additional savings to buy a new house (and leave some money in the kitty for unforeseen expenses) with a burning desire to retire this debt. I've been out of school going on 13 years now. Enough already! :)

It would also be nice to put in more than the pittance I am saving into my daughter's 529 plan

I guess this is quasi-vent, this post. But I would love to hear some Foolish perspective on this. I know the house thing will be a point of contention, but I am more focused right now with what to do with these loans...

Thanks in advance!
-K
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.