Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
At the moment, this question is academic, because the dividends, interest, and capital gains in a UGMA I set up are low enough to preclude filing, and preclude payment of taxes. But as the amount in the account increases, it may become real at some point.

The problem is that I am not the parent or even related to the minor, so I do not see their tax returns (thank God). I do give them the end of year statement for that UGMA, but I do not know if they do anything about it or not. I sure hope they do. But they get H&R Block to do their returns, and they sometimes file in early January, before I get the UGMA accounting data.

Since I am not the parent, and I give them the necessary information, must I do anything more? I wish I trusted them to wait for the UGMA information, but they never remember that they must do that and file, etc. Also, the minor will someday assume responsibility for that account, when she is 21, and will need to deal with taxes then. I may have all the confirmation slips, but some of those reports that I gave her parents have surely been lost, so she may have trouble with cost basis and stuff.

I assume you have the minor's SSN on the account. If so, then the IRS will contact them directly if there is any meaningful discrepancy in their filed return.

You should be able to arrange with the broker to have duplicate documents sent to the parents (or to the minor) so that you don't have to provide them each year.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.