Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
At the risk of revealing myself to be a complete buffoon, I want to point out one thing about Saul that I think gets missed sometimes, particularly among late-comers to the game. He is a tremendous investor for sure, and has been for years, and generous with sharing his knowledge, but...even Saul himself has only been this iteration of "Saul" (fully concentrated in tech) for just a few years, during which time the market has been super favorable to those types of stocks.

When I first discovered Saul's board, he was invested in Skechers, Skyworks, Bank of the Internet, XPO Logistics (shipping/delivery), etc. He was always looking for high growth, but linked it with value (anyone remember when 1YPEG was all the rage on the board?) and was diversified. Not so much any more.

If you're a believer in TNSTAAFL, there will likely be another shoe to drop at some point. And since I know my place in the pecking order of risk-taking investors, that shoe would fall just after the time I went heavily into Saul stocks. Being a year from retirement and liking where I'm at financially, I don't want to take that kind of a wallop that I think could happen. So I have only dipped in a couple of toes. Yes, Saul deserves a lot of credit for returns people have been getting, but unbeknownst to most people, I also should get a "hockey assist" for steering clear. :-)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.