Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
At the start of 2020 TSLA was at $83.67. Now it's at $1116, 13.33 times as much. So the dollar value of the TSLA short interest is now over twice as much as it was then, even as it has fallen to an insignificant percentage. I'm pretty sure that inflation can't account for that kind of increase.

Interesting. Short interest is up 2X and long interest is up ~13X, based on these numbers. One would imagine that with the stock 13X as expensive, it would be even more attractive to shorts, and I suppose that 2x short interest measured in $ reflects that?

Are there metrics that give a hint about long and short interest in the options market? I realize that options markets are formally always neutral, with a buyer and a seller (or writer) behind every options contract. One possibility of a metric on the options side would be a mispricing between long and short options positions, which would show up as calls having a higher implied volatility than similar strike puts if the options market was long-ish, or calls having the lower implied volatility than puts if options market was short-ish. But I think options market makers fairly strictly prevent this from happening by buying long or selling short stock to hedge their market positions. My understanding from reading regulations is that options market makers are allowed to naked short the stocks in order to keep the market liquid. In any case, I haven't seen any options mispricing like this in a long time, has anybody else? Seen calls mispriced w.r.t. puts?

R:
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.