No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm gonna to have a free friday in June in Atlanta. Anything cool to do around there? I will have a rental car. I am being hosted by a friend who just moved there and doesn't know anyone or anything either.

A few thoughts come to my mind
(1) Coca-Cola - worth the time?
(2) CNN - Worth it?
(3) MLK Grave - Worth it?
(4) Stone Mountain (sp?) - Worth it?

Thanks!
Print the post Back To Top
Atlanta in June will very likely be hot and muggy. My recommendation - take that rental car and head for the hills, literally. North Georgia is a great place to just scout around, very scenic with wooded hillsides, waterfalls, etc. My favorite place is a town by the name of Helen, which was fixed up about 30 years ago as an alpine town. It's a lot more touristy than it was then, but still fun. And if memory serves, you dan pan for gold in a town called Dahlonega (not sure of the spelling). I remember a state park up that way too.

And speaking of parks, check out the Chattahoochee National Recreation Area. It is actually a series of national park areas running along the Chattahoochee River, some right in the suburbs, some further out. The Chattahoochee is a major factor in the personality of Atlanta and much of Georgia.

If you prefer an urban experience, Atlanta has it all: concerts, museums, a wide variety of great restaurants. Grab a local paper when you get there and check out the events for the weekend. That time of year, odds are good that there will be some kind of festival, outdoor concert, etc. taking place in the area. Atlanta is a great city for spontaneity.
I was there for a few days last summer. You obviously aren't a Braves fan, so I won't suggest that. We did go to the CNN center, and took the grand tour. They have an interesting time line of the history of CNN, and you get to see the various studios where they put the shows together. You may even see some of the top announcers. They have a humongous food court, with probably 30 restaurants. Also in that building is the arena where the Hawks and the Thrashers play.

Centennial Park is maybe two blocks away from CNN. This is where the bomb went off during the Olympics a few years ago. Real nice place, even has a few waterfalls. Hard Rock and Planet Hollywood are near there also. We stayed at a hotel in the area, virtually the same block as Hard Rock.

The Underground shopping center is about half a mile away. Lots of street people around, though no one bothered me.

Personally, I would go see the Braves or Stone Mountain. Have fun.

J
Atlanta in June will very likely be hot and muggy.

Will it be worse in July? Never mind, maybe I rather not know that I will be steamed alive. We will be in the south in July. Would have rather gone in spring, but are meeting people in South Carolina.

My recommendation - take that rental car and head for the hills, literally. North Georgia is a great place to just scout around, very scenic with wooded hillsides, waterfalls, etc. My favorite place is a town by the name of Helen, which was fixed up about 30 years ago as an alpine town. It's a lot more touristy than it was then, but still fun. And if memory serves, you dan pan for gold in a town called Dahlonega (not sure of the spelling). I remember a state park up that way too.

I liked all your ideas and will keep them in mind. What about Civil War places of interest in Atlanta or other parts of Georgia?

Utahtea...heading for Texas, Lousiana, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, & Arkansas this summer.
"Atlanta in June will very likely be hot and muggy."

"Will it be worse in July? Never mind, maybe I rather not know that I will be steamed alive. We will be in the south in July. Would have rather gone in spring, but are meeting people in South Carolina."

July may be hotter, but I remember at least one year (lived there 7 years) that June was so hot it actually cooled down a bit for July. And hot as it gets, I still always loved it there.

"What about Civil War places of interest in Atlanta or other parts of Georgia?"

Everywhere you turn, you run into the Civil War. Years ago I worked in Underground Atlanta and loved to point out the burn marks on the brick walls which were reputed to be from the burning of Atlanta during the Civil War (most of which was done the the Confederates, by the way, to keep the Yanks from getting hold of anything valuable). Suggest you hit a bookstore when you get there and check the local interest section for a guide to Civil War sites in the area. A couple of notable sites would be the Cyclorama in Grant Park in SE Atlanta. (And don't forget to check out the zoo while you're at the park.) Outside of the city there is Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park. And of course Stone Mountain has already been metioned.

By the way, if you're into Civil War history, have you been to the MD/DC/VA area. We're loaded with history here.

Wow. I didn't even think of going to a Braves game. What a good idea! I just checked out mlb.com and discovered that they are in town and playing against Boston that night.

So, what are the chances of me showing up Friday at 7 and buying tickets from people in front? Any advise on how to do this in a LBMM method? I noticed Ticketmaster wants over $40 a ticket.

Since I have to work nearby that weekend I can't travel too far. I think I'm going to have to stick around town. I've never been to Georgia before except the ATL airport.

My friend from LA that just moved there wants me to bring some good Baja style fish tacos with me. I guess fish tacos are on the menu there yet.

I checked the schedule, looks like it will be either Boston or the Mets on a Fri in June. You should be able to scalp tickets outside the stadium. I went to two games last summer in June, on Sat night and Sun afternoon. There were guys scalping tickets outside the stadium. There is a main street that runs by the stadium. They will be selling t shirts, peanuts, posters, etc. Just hang in that area, and they will make their products available. Be sure to verify the dates on the tickets. You may have to wait til game time, but you should be able to get in for less than $40. I think they have standing seats in the outfield there also. It is a great stadium, and has some nice touches, like the big Coke bottle in the outfield. It has baseball stuff attached to the outside, like baseball bats, gloves, bases, etc, And fireworks get shot out of the inside of it. Nice roomy stadium, and nice souvenier store.

If you get a chance, take a tour of the stadium, you will love it. Bring your camera. I even snagged a 'personal' copy of the menu from the snack bar. They have a museum with all kinds of Braves memorabilia from the Braves from Boston, Milwaukee and Atlanta.

I also went to the Cyclorama. I'm interested in the Civil War, but wasn't all that impressed with that particular museum. Didn't go to the Zoo, and was alot of riffraff in the park. Went to Kenesaw Mtn in the late 80's, and that was a much better Civil War experience.

Go to the Varsity drive in by Georgia Tech after the game, and get a slaw dog, or a burger.

I wish I could go back for a game, it was a great time.

GO BRAVES.
"I also went to the Cyclorama. I'm interested in the Civil War, but wasn't all that impressed with that particular museum. Didn't go to the Zoo, and was alot of riffraff in the park."

Been a long time since I've been to Grant Park. It used to be a very pleasant place to hang out and have a picnic. Hate to thing it has changed so. I used to spend a lot of time in Piedmont Park, too, but the last time I was there I didn't think it was kept up to old standards and there was a lot of construction in the area. They were supposedly making a lot of improvements. Might be worth checking if the construction has been completed and the park is back to its old self. (Not a Civil War site, just a fun place to spend the day - a lot of people bicycle and/or roller blade there.) Use to have a great annual arts & crafts festival there - don't know if that still exists.

"Go to the Varsity drive in by Georgia Tech after the game, and get a slaw dog, or a burger."

The Varsity is a place to go for the experience and to find out if you truly have a cast-iron stomach. I didn't. I thought I could handle anything until my one trip there; it left me sick as a dog. Personally, I enjoy the Bridgetown Grill, a Carribean restaurant that is a bit classier than the Varsity (almost anything is), but not too fancy. I've had some very enjoyable meals there and find the atmosphere quite relaxing, but very sociable.

I have lived in Atlanta for a while now. I am a huge Braves fan. Scalping works and you will often get a good value buying just before the game begins. The stadium is new and it might be fun to get a ticket early enough to hang out there (though bringing food is LBYM, you can always get a snack and beverage...or two).

I am fond of little five points a hippyish area with a bit of character. Someone earlier suggested Brigestone Grill, which has an excellent location right there. If you go, move through the first seating area to the back where you are under the translucent sky light. Virginia Highlands is nearby and also has some character, with a bit more of yuppie gloss.

An off the beaten path idea is the Dekalb Farmer's market which has a huge variety of produce, live fish, and more ethnic varieties of food than you can shake a stick at. They have a nice cafeteria and good values. Often the fresh bread is solid.

Near the Dekalb Farmer's Market (can you tell I live nearby?) is Eddie's Attic which is a great place to hear live music. Since your Braves post suggested a budget, I will also mention my favorite "dive" bar and blues spot which is Fat Matt's. If you are hard core about blues and able to stay up late, try Blind Willie's.

Enjoy,

John