Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I'm not sure what the best message board for these questions is, but I'll try this one. If any of you happen to be American citizens retiring in Australia, I've got a couple questions:

1) Do you have to pay Australia taxes on the capital gains within your IRA/Roth IRA accounts, or does the Aus government honor the tax exempt status they receive in the US? Or, more generally, are you even legally required by Aus to report your transactions within US brokerage accounts, before any income is withdrawn?

2) Do you have to pay Australia taxes on your post-59.5 distributions from your Roth IRA account? I would assume you do. More generally, I would assume that you would have to report (and be taxed on) *all* income from US accounts. However, I'd love to hear differently (assuming it's legal).


Robbie Geary
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.