No. of Recommendations: 4
Author: brucedoe | Date: 2/5/05 2:35 PM | Number: 11821
Let's face it rk. Most of us who have done reasonably well, got a helping hand along the way, or two or three or more. And skill is very nice, but luck is hard to beat.

I am pretty well off now, but I never got any helping hand. After I finished high school, I was 100% on my own. I joined the Army and became an electronic technician. When I got out I decided to go to engineering school and got an MSEE degree. My parents offered to help, but they really didn't have the money, so I turned them down. I worked two jobs all the way through college, and that combined with the GI bill is how I paid for college. I felt that by going to war I earned the GI Bill, so taking that money was justified. I did not make a single loan or apply for any of the available government money to go to college. I paid for it myself as I went.

I never asked for nor received a helping hand at any point in my life, nor did I ever want one. I am not an especially smart person. I grew up close to poverty; my father was a high school teacher, and my mother stayed home. We had just enough to put food on the table and hardly a cent more for anything beyond. New clothes were a rarity.

But, what I learned from my parents was worth far more than any money they might have been able to give me. They instilled a drive in me that said that if I worked hard, saved my money, maintained strong moral values, and held a belief in myself, that I could succeed at any level I wanted to. They were so right!! I set my sights high, and that's exactly where I went.

You will only succeed to the level you believe you can get to. If you believe you are stuck in poverty, or in the wellfare system, that's exactly where you will stay. Money is not the answer to these problems. It's motivation and ambition.

Anyone who is willing to put out a lifetime of effort aimed at their goals can become successful, regardless of the starting point they come from. Hard work alone is not the answer; you have to set a goal. And, there is proof everywhere around that I am right. Take a look at people like Collin Powell, Alberto Gonzales, Marion Berrie, George Foreman, and millions of others who will tell you the same thing.

Russ
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.