No. of Recommendations: 1
Author: ccurrie Date: 4/15/02 12:50 AM Number: 34208
The subject line says it all -- can I have both a roth and traditional IRA? All the discussion I've read seems to center on the question how, when, & whether one can roll over a traditional IRA into a ROTH IRA. However, I've seen no discussion about having both. Is this because it's simply not possible to have both?

You can have as many IRAs of all different flavors as you want. However, your total yearly contribution to all of your IRAs added together cannot exceed $3000. There are also income limits that determine whether or not you can contribute to a ROTH IRA or not.

Lots of people have ROTH IRAs that they can no longer contribute to, because their income has increased past the limit. The money in these ROTH IRAs just stays there until retirement (and hopefully grows), when it, and all gains may be withdrawn tax free.

Many people who can no longer contribute to a ROTH IRA have opened Traditional IRAs, to which they can always contribute. The only issue with a Traditional IRA is whether or not the contribution is deductable.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.