Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I have been reading about the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation and the airline industry - who hasn't been reading/seeing this stuff on every media format? The WSJ had a front page article about a retired pilot who was taking home $12,000 a month and that has now been reduced to about $2,000!

Who I really feel for are the GM/Ford/auto makers employees/retirees. The healthcare benefits and retirement income simply will be wiped out one of these days. I can't, in my wildest dreams, envision any other scenario. These companies can't pay the pension obligations they owe.

When I hear the union reps speak their tough talk, that may be good for a 2-minute sound bite on CNBC - but when it comes down to it - the auto industry is heading to the exact same place the airline industry current is....

Collins & Aikman Files for Chapter 11

By MITCHELL PACELLE and NEAL BOUDETTE
Staff Reporters of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
May 17, 2005; Page A3
http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB111630251285535526,00.html?mod=home_whats_news_us

"Collins & Aikman Corp., one of the nation's largest auto-parts makers, sought Chapter 11 bankruptcy-court protection today, making it the largest of a string of Chapter 11 filings roiling the auto industry.

Collins, which reported $3.9 billion of sales last year, has been struggling for months as industrywide financial pressures ratcheted higher...."

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.