No. of Recommendations: 2
Has anyone seen or heard of this company or used their software for backtesting?
http://www.automaticinvestor.com

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/000826/bc_automat.html:

Automatic Investor is the complete tool for investors of all levels, from the inexperienced to the veteran, who want a proven,
disciplined and reliable investment method. It also offers the power to back-test thousands of stocks and mutual funds with
one click of the mouse. Investors can use the historical analysis function to effortlessly compare results with the buy and hold
strategy. Over 40 years of daily data can be analyzed in less than 10 minutes.

Aloha,
Cory
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm always concerned about how these products deal with survivorship bias. Anyone look into this one?
Finally, a market timing system that works, and only $49!!!!! 8< )
I wasn't refering to the market timing scheme. I was more interested in whether the 40+ years of daily data really does exist and if it does, is it any use to all those brilliant people out there doing all the backtesting and data compiling that is making all of us rich.
Hmmmmm....maybe I should just go back to lurking on the beach and making a bunch more money off the already awesome robust screens we have.

Aloha,
Cory
No. of Recommendations: 2
>>I was more interested in whether the 40+ years of daily data really does exist and if it does, is it any use to all those brilliant people out there doing all the backtesting and data compiling that is making all of us rich.

It could be useful. But there are often problems with these databases. One of the problems we've discussed on this board before is "survivorship bias." These databases are often missing stocks of companies that have gone out of business. As you might imagine, this can dramatically skew results. The reason we lean toward Value Line is that its database is being created in "real time" and thus has no survivorship bias.

Of course, Value Line still manages to screw things up. Stocks change ticker symbols, stocks have splits and reverse-splits, and companies buy and spin-off companies. Stocks pay dividends. Stocks do all kinds of weird friggin things.

Heck, it's hard to put together a Dow database, and the Dow 30 stocks are, well, blue-chips.

It's a nightmare. Unless someone who has experience with these things looks at the database and says, "Wow, they did it right!" I'm going to be sceptical.

That's why databases like CompuStat, CRSP, etc. cost zillions of dollars to subscribe to. Well, one reason.

--Toast
My own experience of Rueters ($35/month) was horrific. After screening the data for sudden drops > 30% and comparing with data from Yahoo, I found about a third of the stocks contained unrecorded splits or dividends. I've also read comparisons of vendors that rate Rueters pretty well in terms of quality. Hmmmm.
Hard to believe anything less than CRSP or Compustat will do.

Jeff